Author Topic: Does this sound like my WD TV Live is dying?  (Read 1183 times)

September 06, 2015, 01:22:49 AM
Read 1183 times

caminatr

Hello everyone,
I apologize for the general question, but I don't have the ability to do a whole lot of troubleshooting on the issue so here's what has been happening and here's what I've done to try to fix it:

Problem: I've had the unit for years and aside from an occasional issue, there's really not been anything major wrong with it.  I use the player to play DVD's and BluRay's from my NAS via ethernet connection.  No major problems for years.  Tonight, the unit started acting up.  It plays a DVD for maybe 20 minutes and then it locks up.  The movie either pauses or starts to fast forward, but it is not responsive to remote controls.

Attempted fixes: First checked the unit to see if it was over-heating, but the heat seemed moderate and nothing out-of-the-ordinary when in operation.  Mildly warm, but definitely not hot.  Since the unit doesn't respond to remote control after the problem starts, I've had to unplug the unit, wait, then replug.  After booting up, I can play another 10-20 minutes or so before the same problem happens again.  I'm using the latest firmware and though the error message it gives when trying to update "The device did not check for update.  Please check your connection", I see online that I'm already using the latest version, so I doubt that's it.  After about the 5th time, I decided to do the "Factory Reset" option and reset everything.  Still had the same problem.  Suspecting that maybe the movie files were corrupted, I re-uploaded and over-wrote the existing files, but same problem persisted.  Started watching a different movie, one that has played flawlessly before and it too is having the same problem.  Needless to say, watching a movie for maybe 20 minutes, then having to unplug / re-plug in the unit is annoying, to say the least.  I've considered playing something via a flash drive, but I doubt that will yield better results since this doesn't appear to be a content problem, to me at least.

I'm hoping that someone else here has had a similar problem and either found a fix or replaced the unit with the newer version.  I'm long since out of warranty and $82 isn't too much to pay for a new replacement.  Unfortunately, I don't have an endless amount of time like I used to in order to troubleshoot this to finality.  12 hours of troubleshooting that ultimately worked used to be very satisfying, whereas now it's more like, 12 hours of troubleshooting just cost me $600 worth of time... all for an $82 piece of equipment...

Thanks,

Cam

October 26, 2015, 06:37:37 AM
Reply #1

tortooga

I had similar issue - appears to be a memory leak in newest firmware.
I "downgraded" and it's worked great ever since...

https://community.wdc.com/t/downgrade-firmware-from-2-02-32-to-2-01-86/83992

May help your issue?