Author Topic: subtitles not appearing in .mpg files  (Read 3964 times)

June 18, 2009, 06:03:30 PM
Read 3964 times

cantinoro

I've created several .mpg files from dvds.  I know there are subtitles included.  I'm able to display them on my PC with VLC player.  But when I play the video and select subtitles on WDTV, they don't appear and the text "no subtitle" appears when I try to select.  Any idea why?  I've seen references about having to create a seperate subtitle file, but am not sure how or if this is the issue.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

June 18, 2009, 06:51:42 PM
Reply #1

bobosquishy

What kind of subs did you use?  Are they embedded into the avi or are they in a separate file?
I reserve the right to ignore you for any reason.

June 19, 2009, 04:46:19 AM
Reply #2

cantinoro

They are embedded, but it's not an .avi but a .mpg file.  I rip the DVD to my hard drive and use Corel Video Studio X2 software which allows me to import digital media.  This creates a .mpg file of the particular title/chapter that I want.  But there is only one file created.

June 19, 2009, 03:26:02 PM
Reply #3

bobosquishy

You didn't answer the first question.  Are you confused about the meaning of embedded?  Are they actually hard subs?  If they are hard subs and you are not seeing them, it means they are outside of the screen edge.  If they are embedded soft subs, then WHAT KIND OF SUBS ARE THEY?

June 20, 2009, 05:32:40 AM
Reply #4

cantinoro

Sorry, I guess I don't know what an embedded subtitle is.  They are the same subtitles that appear on DVDs.  When I rip the DVD files and them import with Corel VideoStudio, the software indicates the appropriate number of subtitle streams.  When I play the resultant .mpg file on my PC with VLC, I'm able to select the particular subtitle stream like on DVDs.  But when I try on WDTV, it indicates "No Subtitle".

June 20, 2009, 10:32:58 PM
Reply #5

twisty

Sorry, I guess I don't know what an embedded subtitle is.  They are the same subtitles that appear on DVDs.  When I rip the DVD files and them import with Corel VideoStudio, the software indicates the appropriate number of subtitle streams.  When I play the resultant .mpg file on my PC with VLC, I'm able to select the particular subtitle stream like on DVDs.  But when I try on WDTV, it indicates "No Subtitle".

I think the problem is with wdtv.  It's looking for a seperate subtitle file.  wdtv doesn't like any of my embedded subtitles and gives me the same result as you regardless of container type.  The wdtv specs are clear on this I think.  Success so far by converting dvd to .mkv then downloading subtitles (.srt) from the net and saving as a seperate file with the same name in the same folder as the .mkv

I understand that dvd subtitles are video anyway and ripping them to text requires ocr, so, get the text from the net. ps. make sure you get the right language.

Hope this helps.
42" Sony & 32" Teac. Gigabit Network + NetComm NP210 Ethernet over power.  4TB WD ShareSpace NAS.  WDLXTV 0.5.8.1.  MSheet 2.1.1.
Noob WDTV Video Conversion Basics Tutorial http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=3314.0

June 21, 2009, 02:12:09 AM
Reply #6

bobosquishy

You can make your own srt subtitles, you don't have to "download them from the net".

But, you raise two good points.  WDTV primarily supports the mkv container, and WDTV has srt support.

June 21, 2009, 11:13:49 AM
Reply #7

Scoops

• Personal Text
    Urban Shocker
The MPG container isn't meant to contain (soft)subs, so even if they are a supported format, the WDTV may not read them.

That said, the WDTV does support embedded softsubs in MKV, so it's not that you are required to have an external sub file, period full stop. They are probably required for container types that are not meant to contain subtitles. It's just that you're trying to play is essentially a weird file. VLC (and most PC players) are pretty gracious about dealing with weird things thrown at them. They can afford to be, as they have a fancy, powerful, general purpose CPUs behind them. A set-top box doesn't have that luxury and tends to require more adherence to expected standards and norms.

I'd suspect that if you had everything in an MKV rather than an MPG, the file would play properly. That's just a guess without more specific formatting information.
fw 1.02.10 | Western Digital MyBook 500GB | Transcend JetFlash V30 4GB | Composite out
Thumbnail help

June 22, 2009, 03:52:54 PM
Reply #8

cantinoro

Bingo!!!!  Once I put them in the .MKV container with MakeMKV, my subtitles play fine.  Thanks for the tip!!