Author Topic: Which firmware should I choose + some general questions  (Read 3529 times)

June 19, 2015, 12:13:37 PM
Read 3529 times

krs000a

Hello,

I have a WDTV and I am have a few questions regarding custom firmware...Please reply if you can help me, would so appreciate it. Sincerely, Jenny

Firstly, it has an option where the device downloads information about the movies from the internet. I heard that it's possible to manually create these files, and type in whatever information you want, like create them in a program on my computer and then copy them to the movie folders. My questions are:

1. How do I do that? What program do I use to do it?

2. Will that work with the official firmware, or do I need to use a custom firmware in order to be able to use the manually created movie info files?

3. With the official firmware there are some applications to watch streaming video online, and also some channels to watch free movies on (like public domain stuff) and other entertainment. Is there any firmware which will add support for additional channels and players? I'm looking in particularly for free channels, or apps to watch TV networks directly thru my WDTV. Many TV networks have options to watch their broadcasts on their websites (like NCB News, and many others). Are there ways to watch any free TV channels thru the WDTV.

4. Lastly, i noticed there were some casual games included with the WDTV. I think that was kind of cute! Are there any firmwares that will add support for more games?

Oh, and by installing custom firmware, do I generally *lose* any features (such as those games and movie channels) by installing custom firmware?

Thanks so much for reading!
Jenny

June 21, 2015, 08:17:17 PM
Reply #1

krs000a

I can't believe nobody knows the answer to any of my questions. :(
Please someone answer!

June 22, 2015, 02:21:04 AM
Reply #2

Rev Drew

• DeSpammer

Perhaps if you posted the model number of your device, someone could figure out which device you have and if there is an alternate firmware available for it.

You laugh because Iím different, I laugh because youíre all the same.

namaste

www.supernews.com/super-special/?i=ZxJfObJynPQ=

June 24, 2015, 03:14:23 AM
Reply #3

krs000a

OK I'm sorry, i'm not very good at this technical stuff. This is what I have:
WD TV Media Player
P/N WDBPUF0000NBK-00
I guess it's "Gen 2" but it doesn't say anywhere on the bottom.

Any help appreciated! /Jenny

June 25, 2015, 03:20:07 AM
Reply #4

Rev Drew

• DeSpammer

I'm not sure on the revision or what the term is (Gen2, Gen3, etc.), but it's the new one with no Netflix, and unfortunately, no custom firmware at this time.
No idea if there will be a custom firmware for it at a later date or not.
You laugh because Iím different, I laugh because youíre all the same.

namaste

www.supernews.com/super-special/?i=ZxJfObJynPQ=

June 27, 2015, 07:52:12 AM
Reply #5

krs000a

Mine has Netflix on it I think. But regardless about the custom firmware, can you please tell me if it's possible to write my own synopsyses and movie info manually and use perhaps without custom firmware? Or do I must have custom firmware for that to be possible?

July 20, 2015, 03:52:37 AM
Reply #6

RavRob

• DeSpammer

ThumbGen is the software used to create such custom sheets.  However, I don't think it will work on factory SW.  You would need Custom SW to make this work.
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television