General WDTV Groups > Everything Else

Question about scraping tv shows

(1/1)

zer0surge:
I just bought a WDTV media player, and I had a question.
Movies tend to scrape tmdb pretty well, because I guess the search is based on the filename.
But TV shows don't tend to scrape well at all. I'm wondering if it's because of my path.
For example,
h:\Television\Animated\The Simpsons\Season 1 (1989)\S01 E01 - Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire.avi
Does each and every episode of every TV show need to have the name of the TV show in the filename?
Or is there a preferred path hiearchy I should be using instead?

EDIT:
Yes, you do need the tv show in the title.
I changed
\Television\Animated\Futurama\Season 1 (1999)\S1 E01 - Pilot.avi
to
\Television\Animated\Futurama\Season 1 (1999)\Futurama S01E01 - Pilot.avi
and it downloaded the metadata.
Note that it has to be S01 and no space between S01 and E01.
Unfortunately I did this on Season 2 and whoever uploaded the XML information followed the air date (probably off wikipedia) and not the actual track listing off of the DVD volumes, so it seems I'll have to edit that manually.
How irritating.
More irritating is the fact that they didn't use leading zeros for the episodes 01 to 09, so that episode 10 follows immediately after episode 1.
I hope this isn't true of everything I have.

pfmodel:
Organising TV shows on your WDTV.  (Or for that matter Movies as well)
A : Organising your TV-Shows or Movies
1: Create a Directory named after your TV-Show (Best to use the name found in “http://www.imdb.com/”, so Battlestar Galactica would have a name of “Battlestar Galactica (1978) (TV Series)” (This is useful if you ever migrate your library over to a XBMC engine)
2: Create a Directory for each Season, named Season 1, Season 2, etc. If there is only 1 season you can skip this.
3: Name your episodes using one of the valid standards, such as “S01E01 name of episode”, which is Season 1, Episode 1. If there is a special name it “S00E01 name of special”. You can get the correct Episode number from “http://thetvdb.com/”.
4: Use a metadata tool such as “Hubflow” or “Media Center Master” to create your metadata (thumbnail images, xml files, etc)
5: Copy your full TV-Show structure to a USB Drive connected to the WDTV, or a Twonky server, such as a WD MyCLOUD.
A : On a USB Drive connected directly to your WDTV (Suggested Structure)
Create a series of directories broken up by types, such as “Movies (Romance)”, “Movies (For Kids)”, etc. Place a number in the name to sort is the way you wish. Place a distinctive thumbnail in each folder called “Folder.jpg”. This will allow you to identify the correct folder.
EXAMPLE:
Movies1 (Romance)
Movies2 (Comedy)
Movies3 (For Kids)
Movies4 (Adventure)
Movies5 (Mystery)
Movies6 (War)
Movies8 (SciFi)
Movies9 (Anime)
TV-Shows1 (Romance)
TV-Shows2 (Comedy)
TV-Shows3 (For Kids)
TV-Shows4 (Adventure)
TV-Shows5 (Mystery)
TV-Shows6 (War)
TV-Shows7 (Documentary)
TV-Shows8 (SciFi)
TV-Shows9 (Anime)
Typically you will only every place VOB’s or HD MKV/MP4 files on this type of device. VOB files can only be easily ready from a locally connected device, and HD files need to direct connection to avoid any freezing (depends on network speed) As a result you may decide to place 2 directories under each of the above directories, such as ;
Movies9 (Anime)
   Movies9 (Anime) HD MKV
   Movies9 (Anime) VOB
Place a “Folder.jpg” in each folder to allow you to identify what it is.

B : On Twonky server, such as a WD MyCLOUD (Suggested Structure)
Do the same as above, except you will need to create special folder files to get a thumbnail. The thumbnail will be the firect “jpg” file found with an associated video file, as a result you will need to create a “!Folder” directory in any directly, with a sub-directory, containing a mp4 file with an associated jpg file, such as;
!Folder.mp4
!Folder.jpg
If the directory does not have a sub-directory, you can simply place these files in the directory with your Movies.

In this case you access your movies or TV-Shows using the “Files” method from your WDTV. This provides a simply, but effective method of organising your video files. It is especially effective if you have a huge collection of video files, as engines such as XBMC can make it difficult to find specific movies or TV-Shows when you have too many of them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version