Author Topic: M4V no longer playing in WDTV Live  (Read 1342 times)

August 30, 2014, 08:23:56 AM
Read 1342 times

rumplestiltskin

After the latest firmware update (2.02.32), most of my ".m4v" videos will not play. The device looks like it's going to play (circling arrow and timeline at bottom of screen) but then it drops back to the listing screen. No error messages. Tried it with FAT32 and GUID (MacOSX) USB drives. (The GUID drive has always worked in the past.) I know the user manual doesn't mention m4v but, even if I change the extension to mp4, these still won't play. I'm having to re-encode my files to Baseline from High profile. In the past I've used MP4Tools and set the device to iPhone4 and never had a problem until the firmware update. Resetting to factory defaults doesn't reset the firmware back to the original.

By the way, my older WDTV v1 (no networking) and v2 (Ethernet port) play all of the "problem" files with no issues at all; this is why I'm suspecting firmware that was incorrectly programmed.

August 30, 2014, 10:28:25 AM
Reply #1

mizkitty64

Lot of people had problems with the new update (2.02.32). Broke some codecs for me too...on videos that played fine before.
It brought back the YouTube "reboot" problem as well...but worse...reboots without playing first video...just instant reboot.

Others claim it works fine for them...so who knows...

I flashed back to 2.01.86 myself on WDTV Live SMP...everything works again.