Author Topic: BUG v2.01.86 - Arrow icon remains frozen on screen during playback  (Read 2504 times)

April 19, 2014, 01:41:59 AM
Read 2504 times

robingoodfellowe

- Problem MAY be a duplicate of BUG v2.01.86 - Only plays one video then will not play another - but not sure if symptoms are exactly the same.

I have WDTV Live Gen 3
2 input local storage devices connected via usb3 - one WD My Passport (2tb) and one WD My Passport Ultra (2tb).

Problem typically occurs after 2 or 3 files have been played successfully from local storage.

Problem manifests itself on requesting playback of file (all types).  Spinning arrow icon appears as normal, but then freezes.  Playback continues (both sound & picture) but the icon remains onscreen.  WDTV unit does not respond to any remote button presses.

Only way to resolve the issue is to unplug/reconnect unit from power source.  Problem manifests itself again, typically after two or three files have played okay.

Overheating not an issue.  I suspect it is due to a file corruption on one of the two local storage devices, but would like some feedback if anyone else is experiencing this.

Have tried factory settings reset & removing the wdtv folder from both local storage devices.  No luck so far - am running chkdsk on them now to ensure disk integrity.

Is anyone else having this problem?

April 19, 2014, 08:32:15 PM
Reply #1

Techflaws

• Tech Flaws - Things Can Only Get Better
There's one known bug that corrupt files make it impossible to play good files afterwards.

May 11, 2014, 04:32:17 PM
Reply #2

Krizzz

I'm not sure of its the same bug, but I have 2 WD TV live boxes that exhibit the same behavior.   Both are connected via wired ethernet.

1. I am streaming via DLNA media server, not locally. (I've tried 3 different servers with the same behavior).

2. I know for a fact that the mkv's are not corrupt.  They stream perfectly to a PS3 and a PC.

3. Sometimes it locks up on the first file loaded after an Unplug-reboot.

4. Sometimes it plays the video file with the spinning arrow of death stuck in the center of the screen.
    Sometimes it just locks up completely and plays nothing.

5. Behavior is consistent between both WDTVs.

6. Started 2-3 months ago.  But I don't think it coincided with the last firmware update.

I'd love to know what the heck is going on...

June 07, 2014, 11:13:16 PM
Reply #3

ardenpm

From these descriptions I think I am experiencing a similar perhaps related issue on the same firmware. I have two WD TV Live Streaming players each with Firmware v2.01.86 which were fairly recently updated. I am generally playing videos over SMB/CIFS shares when I experience the problem however in my case the symptoms are slightly different.

Basically it will play fine for 3-4 files and then at some point when starting another movie or pausing and resuming a playing movie the OSD stays on the screen instead of automatically disappearing and the remote control stops responding however video and audio all continue to play normally until the end of the current file, at which point it remains on the end of the movie and does not return to the file list.

The entire time the Web UI of the device also works however the Remote Control functionality of the Web UI (or iPhone Apps) does not work, even though it can connect to the player and get its information.

Resetting seems to get me back to the start where things work fine for another 3-4 or perhaps more files (it seems somewhat random). I have never previous had this issue and I haven't changed anything significant in my configuration lately except for updating the firmware so I am really starting to suspect a bug in v2.01.86.

Anyone resolved this issue yet?

June 10, 2014, 08:23:06 AM
Reply #4

netchemica

Came on this forum for help with this bug, turns out I'm not the only one that experiences it.

I want to add a little though.  I bring this box with me when standing duty.  We have old TVs at work and they only have RCA connections.  I haven't experienced this problem at all when watching movies at work and I'm starting to think that it has something to do with HDMI itself.

TL;DR: I don't experience this problem when using RCA cables.

July 04, 2014, 05:29:03 AM
Reply #5

ardenpm

Anyone have any news on this, this is really rendering two of my wd tv live devices basically useless.