Author Topic: XBMC on WDTV Live  (Read 43240 times)

April 25, 2014, 01:18:26 AM
Read 43240 times

martin267

Hello All,

I've just bought a WDTV Live and while it's a great player I think it could be better, namely by having XBMC as a homebrew firmware installed (http://xbmc.org/).

WDTV Live is beginning to face tough competition and if this modification was allowed the device would simply wipe the floor with their competitors.  It has great input/output options, a reasonable remote and a price point that makes it quite strong.

But why bother doing this?   Discussion has gone all over the web asking about getting XBMC on a WDTV Live and more than 27,000 people have looked at the link people thought would address this http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMC_on_WDTV, a clear interest in making it possible.

Can the WDTV Live team please comment to adding this ability to extend the use of the device and really open it up as a homebrew device?

Thanks.

April 25, 2014, 01:56:27 AM
Reply #1

Rev Drew

• DeSpammer

WD has started really locking down the firmware on newer devices (live hub, live streaming) which put the custom firmware devs off, so it's highly unlikely this will happen.

you could got to the WD community and suggest it and see if others are interested or have already suggested it, there may be power in numbers, although to get WD to listen to any decent suggestion will be difficult.

On a personal note, I've tried XBMC on a PC and I'll happily stick with my modded live plus.
You laugh because Iím different, I laugh because youíre all the same.

namaste

www.supernews.com/super-special/?i=ZxJfObJynPQ=

April 25, 2014, 11:08:40 AM
Reply #2

mizkitty64

If you really want XBMC just grab a Android TV box from Minix or Tronsmart.
Some even come with custom ROMs already loaded.

The WDTV has always had a bit of an identity crisis...I'd buy a  Roku for my parents and a Minix for myself.
The biggest thing the WDTV has going for it is access to windows shares...and can handle almost any media.