Author Topic: Stream files from networked BD-ROM off computer  (Read 1935 times)

March 09, 2014, 10:37:44 AM
Read 1935 times

hoaxzor

What I am trying to do:

I have a dozen or so movies/tv shows on burned bd-r and dvd+r media. (AVI, MP4 and MKV as DATA disc) I have tried to share my optical drive from my computer to my WDTV with out luck( it does not show up on wdtv) . All other folders showup and can stream from them but I would like not to waste HDD space and stream from my burned data discs. How can I do this do I need to emulate the UDF drive into NTFS... is that even possible.

March 09, 2014, 08:50:26 PM
Reply #1

Techflaws

• Tech Flaws - Things Can Only Get Better

March 12, 2014, 10:23:46 AM
Reply #2

Rev Drew

• DeSpammer

you can, under the right circumstances.

you need a supported player with WDlxTV firmware, you need to have a disc in the optical drive, then you can manually mount it via telnet or SSH. (I have my drive shared on my NFS server all the time, I don't actually mount it unless I put a disc in it)

this works for my DVD drive, it 'should' work with a blu-ray drive but I doubt you will be able to play (retail) blu-ray (movie) discs.

you can try it, hell, use windows sharing with a disc in it and see if it will find it under network shares or media servers or whatever else you think may work...
You laugh because Iím different, I laugh because youíre all the same.

namaste

www.supernews.com/super-special/?i=ZxJfObJynPQ=

March 12, 2014, 10:11:32 PM
Reply #3

Techflaws

Since he was posting in this forum I didn't think he was about to use a modded firmware, also I assume he's talking about the Live Streaming which only has an alpha modded available?

March 13, 2014, 08:33:26 AM
Reply #4

Rev Drew

• DeSpammer

I figure he has the streaming also, but if you share the optical drive with a disc in it, you never know...

I don't have any devices running WD firmware so I can't test but in theory it's possible and it should be picked up under network shares I would think.

namaste

March 13, 2014, 10:13:10 AM
Reply #5

mizkitty64

I just shared my DVD drive for kicks...and it shows up under Network Shares on my WDTV LIVE SMP.

Plays individual AVI's off the disk no problem.

March 13, 2014, 09:58:31 PM
Reply #6

Techflaws

Does it also play original DVDs that way?

March 14, 2014, 06:28:59 AM
Reply #7

mizkitty64

Nope...won't recognize the media on store bought movie DVDs when shared.
"There is no media available for playback"

Will play avi and mp4 files on a "burned" disk though...from network share.

March 14, 2014, 07:18:51 AM
Reply #8

Rev Drew

• DeSpammer

thanks for the info, good to know what will and wont work when sharing an optical drive.

namaste

March 15, 2014, 04:58:46 PM
Reply #9

hoaxzor

After reading the first response i did not come back to check replies for awhile. I did later discover that I did indeed share the optical drive properly but in order to actually have it show up in my WD I had to have a disc present, As some of the later replies have said. Thanks for all the replies.