Author Topic: WDTV Live long startup time  (Read 1915 times)

March 09, 2014, 04:31:31 AM
Read 1915 times

RrnR

I just acquired a WDTV live media server.  It connected to the home WiFi fine and I can browse media on my laptop which is running WMP.

The only problem I have found is startup.  When I power the unit up with the remote more often than not nothing happens.  There is a screen disturbance a few seconds after I power up and then nothing.

I have found that removing and reconnecting the power lead from the unit works (as opposed to cycling the power with the remote).

It's a bit of a pain - I understood these units to boot quickly.  Mine is neither quick to boot or reliable.

Anybody know what might be the issue?

TIA,
R

March 13, 2014, 02:37:08 PM
Reply #1

Ecaroh

Mine takes 55-60 seconds to boot. Is that normal (anyone)? I just kind of lived with it for the first year, leaving the unit turned on almost always. But I just recently upgraded to the Jan. 2013 firmware release and thought that "menu performance" might mean a quicker boot time. It doesn't seem to.

R -- are you waiting long enough after pushing the power button? Mine follows more or less this sequence (on the TV screen):

"No signal" title

Generic-looking WD TV Live Player title with WD logo; for a long time

Possibly some further "No Signal" titles intermittently"

Then after about 52 seconds, a click from the unit, the screen turns to a blue wallpaper, and then the menu comes up at 57 seconds or so.

After opening the box last year, the first few times, I thought it simply didn't work. I think under the previous firmware, the WD TV title didn't come up until way into the sequence.

Mine is WD TV Live Media Player (no plus, no HD), WDAAP0000NBK

thx,
Steve

March 16, 2014, 09:13:16 AM
Reply #2

Ecaroh

PS, I rolled back firmware to 1.06.15_V yesterday for one reason and another, and was pleased to find boot time reduced by 15 seconds or so vs. .43  -- also quicker than 1.05.04, I believe.