Author Topic: WDTV Tools Development VMware Image  (Read 13655 times)

June 17, 2009, 05:47:18 AM
Read 13655 times

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools
  (The original article is posted at http://wdtv.elmarweber.org/index.php/2009/wdtv-tools-development-vmware-image)

I created a VMware image based on Debian Linux that already contains everything to get you started with development for the WDTV. The focus is on getting programs compiled, but you can also use it to create the filesystem images for your OSD mods and applications.

The image is hosted at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=261153&package_id=320852&release_id=690522 as RAR and ZIP file for your convenience. The VMware image extracts to about 900 MB, so make sure you have enough space available before extracting.

You can use the VM with a number of VMware products, the easiest way to use the VM is VMware Player. It also supports VMware Workstation ]= 5.0 and VMware Server ]=1.0. If you use Virtual Box or another virtualization solution it can probably import the VMware image.

The VM has no graphical UI because you need to do all the stuff in the command line anyway. You can either use the console directly in the VMware program or you can connect to the VM via SSH (for Windows I recommend PuTTY). The VMware's IP address is shown before you login. The username is "wdtv" and the password "!develop" (both without ""). If a password is required anywhere it is the same (e.g. root, but you should use sudo).
If you work within the VMware, so this does not apply for SSH, the default keyboard layout is currently German, which means you will find the "!" above the one ("Shift + 1").

The WDTV Tools Subversion repository is already integrated into the VMware, so you can fetch updates to the toolchain or kernel with ease. The mipsel C compiler for the WDTV is already in the path, the toolchain is located in the wdtv. directory.

A series of future tutorials that shows basic stuff like compiling new software for the WDTV and distributing it, will be based on this VMware.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 12:41:47 PM by elmarweber »

June 17, 2009, 05:48:59 AM
Reply #1

eliafino

GREAT WORK!!! Thank you very much!!!

June 17, 2009, 05:56:24 AM
Reply #2

dcrutgers

June 17, 2009, 07:15:50 AM
Reply #3

redindian

• True Font Family - Any font, any website, any browser
Excellent, great way for me to get more experienced with Linux. Thanks!

June 17, 2009, 05:36:08 PM
Reply #4

j450n

Nice! I look forward to the future tutorials.

thanks!

June 19, 2009, 08:58:04 AM
Reply #5

mike2k8

Great, thank you.
It'll be nice to follow some tutorials.

June 19, 2009, 10:17:28 AM
Reply #6

BMD_Online

Do you have mediainfo and image magick included in your image ?

June 19, 2009, 11:07:14 AM
Reply #7

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools

Nope, but its debian so installing other software is as simple as

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install imagemagick
mediainfo doesn't seem to be in aptitude yet, so you have to fetch the debs from http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download/Debian and install them with dpkg -i <file>

ciao,
elm

June 19, 2009, 11:33:05 AM
Reply #8

BMD_Online

Nope, but its debian so installing other software is as simple as

sudo apt-get install imagemagick
mediainfo doesn't seem to be in aptitude yet, so you have to fetch the debs from http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download/Debian and install them with dpkg -i <file>

ciao,
elm

I know how to install them (I've installed them on my ubuntu).
I just want to know if my scripts generating mediainfo picture can work with your image.

June 21, 2009, 12:59:42 AM
Reply #9

robbie85

Tnx elm :)

I hope that these info can help someone:

- for VirtualBox users only: "Waiting for root file system.." Issue

by Default VirtualBox use IDE Controller for master virtual disk. The root fs of this image is SCSI so it's necessary to modify VirtualBox settings or GRUB image settings.

• create profile for Debian with ACPI support, import vmdk as virtual disk and delete other files from rar archive.
  • in profile settings you need to add SCSI(BusLogic) support and select the "SCSI Port 1" as vmdk slot type   - OR -   start virtual machine and edit GRUB command line (at GRUB screen press 'e', select kernel line and press 'e' again) and change sda1 into hda1 and after login change the same into /boot/grub/menu.lst

- for All users: Keyboard Layout Issue

Default Keyboard is qwertz, for change it after login type:

dpkg-reconfigure console-data

Select "keymap from full list", select you keyboard and after test it

June 21, 2009, 10:56:45 AM
Reply #10

mike2k8

Tnx elm :)

I hope that these info can help someone:

- for VirtualBox users only: "Waiting for root file system.." Issue

by Default VirtualBox use IDE Controller for master virtual disk. The root fs of this image is SCSI so it's necessary to modify VirtualBox settings or GRUB image settings.

• create profile for Debian with ACPI support, import vmdk as virtual disk and delete other files from rar archive.
  • in profile settings you need to add SCSI(BusLogic) support and select the "SCSI Port 1" as vmdk slot type   - OR -   start virtual machine and edit GRUB command line (at GRUB screen press 'e', select kernel line and press 'e' again) and change sda1 into hda1 and after login change the same into /boot/grub/menu.lst

Tested with VirtualBox xVM 2.1.2
I can't find any Buslogic or SCSI options, but I have run it OK, with the following steps.

You create a new VM, debian type. When you have to create the hard disk file, choose existing one. Point to vdmk file.
Under Configuration / Hard Disks, activate SATA Controller, in Slot, choose SATA, Port 0
Press OK, and start the VM.

June 23, 2009, 10:52:43 AM
Reply #11

robbie85

Tested with VirtualBox xVM 2.1.2
I can't find any Buslogic or SCSI options, but I have run it OK, with the following steps.

You create a new VM, debian type. When you have to create the hard disk file, choose existing one. Point to vdmk file.
Under Configuration / Hard Disks, activate SATA Controller, in Slot, choose SATA, Port 0
Press OK, and start the VM.

In the same Configuration Tab, in the menu list where you choosed SATA (AHCI) you will find SCSI controller ;) -> I have 2.2.4 version

June 29, 2009, 06:05:41 AM
Reply #12

eliafino

Ok, for example, if I want compile weechat 0.3.0-rc1 http://weechat.flashtux.org/download.php

I run VM image, I have WD TV GPL Code, I have kernel source compiled, and now?

sorry but I'm very newbie in linux compile...

June 29, 2009, 06:07:34 AM
Reply #13

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools

July 23, 2009, 09:55:26 AM
Reply #14

mike2k8

I find this image very useful. Thanks elmarweber.

When trying to follow some tutorials, I find in the need of open an internet browser to search for information, and copy paste from it. Being the original image text only, I felt quite limited. (I could open a browser in the host OS, but I wasn't been able to copy-paste from it.)
But there is an easy solution, and I wanted to share it here. Maybe some people find it useful. Of course it's nothing that someone with some experience in linux (debian) wouldn't know, but maybe it's a help for someone new to the linux world.

What I are going to explain, is the way to transform your text-only box into a graphical box with a web browser.

At the terminal write these three commands, one after another:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install x-window-system gnome-core gdm Iceweasel

You will be prompted for the password (default: !develop)

Wait for a long time for the packages download and installation.
In the next reboot, you will be in graphical mode. You can then open at the top menu: Applications/Internet/Iceweasel Web Browser
(This is a Firefox version without the branding and other non-free bits.)
Then open Applications/Accessories/Terminal
and start the tutorials here. ;)

You can install any other program you want through the Synaptic packag manager. (System/Administration/Synaptic)