Author Topic: WDTV Media player wd00avp-00 (Gen 1)  (Read 6353 times)

January 21, 2014, 04:50:15 PM
Read 6353 times

moonwalker

i have a WDTV Media player  wd00avp-00 (Gen 1) and i recently uddated the firmware to 1.03.01_B-RAD.CC_WDLXTV-0.5.8.1 and it all works well. i only use it for watching MKV movies direct from the ext HDD which is wall powered.

now i have an issue , i have bought a 4tb hdd and want to use it with the WDTV media player , but it wont recognize it , it spins up ok but wont see the movies i have on it . is there someway i can fix this , firmware update ?

thanks

January 22, 2014, 02:58:43 AM
Reply #1

Rev Drew

• DeSpammer

because of the kernel used in the WDTV firmware you will be limiter to 2TB or smaller.

if you partition it you may be able to see it all. YMMY though, it's up to you to try it, if you lose data, well you've been warned.
You laugh because Iím different, I laugh because youíre all the same.

namaste

www.supernews.com/super-special/?i=ZxJfObJynPQ=

January 22, 2014, 03:08:40 PM
Reply #2

moonwalker

is the kernel something that can be updated with firmware?

i don't want to really partition it. i don't know enough about that to do it .

does b-rad have a more new version of firmware other than -  B-RAD.CC_WDLXTV-0.5.8.1 that will make it work with 4tb ?

, if non of the above can u reccommend a new product(media player),
all i use it for is connecting my ext HDD (4tb) via usb to watch movies only directly from the ext HDD

thanks for any help u can give .

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 04:14:26 PM by moonwalker »

January 22, 2014, 05:14:45 PM
Reply #3

Rev Drew

• DeSpammer

nope, there has been no official firmware released since: Release 1.03 (11/9/2009)
WDlxTV is based on official firmware, back then 2TB drives were as big as it got, that's why the limitation is where it is.

as for other media players, I have no idea, I use my WDTV and 2 Live Plus and am happy with both.

your other option is to hook the 4TB drive up to your computer and mount a folder from it to the media player.
that would involve getting a compatible network adapter for the Gen1 and using NFS.

it is likely the easiest option - if your computer is always on when you want to watch something.

read this and see if it's something you'd be willing to try.

Code: [Select]
http://mrlazy.wordpress.com/2009/08/04/how-to-setup-nfs-shares-on-wd-tv-using-hanewin/

namaste

January 23, 2014, 01:08:33 AM
Reply #4

moonwalker

OK thanks for the info ,

i didn't want my pc to be on all the time when i watch a movie so i guess that option is out , i may have to buy a new media player that can handle a single 4 tb ext HDD.

i just wasn't sure if b-rad was still making new firmware for this media player, the firmware that i just installed was  B-RAD.CC_WDLXTV-0.5.8.1 and that went on good, b-rad had a lot of info on his site about the newer firmware he made, but i didn't really understand all the other files he had listed there , only that it was new firmware and i awto give it a try .
so now i hope i can play mkv files with aac audio , as i wasn't able to previously.

thanks

January 23, 2014, 09:52:54 PM
Reply #5

moonwalker

do you know if the wd live or live plus works with a 4tb hdd. as i think ill need to buy a new media player , but first i need to know if there are wd media players that work with a 4tb hdd , and maybe if anyone out here has a 4tb hdd pluged into the wd player via usb . as i will only be watching movies from the Hdd , no network or streaming .

January 24, 2014, 11:09:46 AM
Reply #6

Rev Drew

• DeSpammer

the original live with WD firmware or custom WDlxTV firmware will work with a 4TB drive.

the live plus with WD firmware will work with a 4TB drive - using custom WDlxTV firmware will NOT work with a 4TB drive.

the live hub and new live streaming will work with a 4TB drive.

namaste

January 25, 2014, 03:49:01 PM
Reply #7

moonwalker

the original live with WD firmware or custom WDlxTV firmware will work with a 4TB drive.

the live plus with WD firmware will work with a 4TB drive - using custom WDlxTV firmware will NOT work with a 4TB drive.

the live hub and new live streaming will work with a 4TB drive.

ok this looks like the option i may have to take . option 1 or 3 looks like what i am after , are the firmwares for these still being updated , or obsolete.

although one question from an above reply you made to me .
you wrote
because of the kernel used in the WDTV firmware you will be limiter to 2TB or smaller.

if you partition it you may be able to see it all. YMMY though, it's up to you to try it, if you lose data, well you've been warned.

so my question here is when you say be warned, are you saying this if i try to partition it while all my movies are on it i may loose them . yes or no ?

if i delete all those movies first then partition it will that be safe, yes or no ?

and what is the best option to format it , mbr or that other one ? which i cant remember at the moment.

and last what does this mean YMMY ?

thanks .
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 04:01:35 PM by moonwalker »