Author Topic: Preview: Web play  (Read 20785 times)

June 17, 2009, 12:12:09 AM
Read 20785 times

redindian

• True Font Family - Any font, any website, any browser
Just a quick preview of what I'm working on (besides the other stuff).

Web play is a web based remote control application for the WDTV, where you can browse your music (or movies) and start them from your computer. Especially useful if you're using your WDTV to play music in your living room, but don't want to get up to start a new cd.

Browse music:

Click playable files to play:

Wait for the magic to happen:

Once the file is playing you can use the controls to pause, skip, forward, etc.

For music you also get a nice mp3 player that can popup to listen to music from your WDTV on your computer:

And for those who like to touch, an iPod with coverflow and touch interface:

Or some people might prefer drag and slide coverflow:

And for movies:

And when you click the movie you can get detailed information:

Here is a full preview example of browsing and both ipod and coverflow in a popup:

Added a very simple search as a last feature for now:

Big thanks for elmarweber for his eiri app and helping on some problems I had before! To be released soon.

Having some problems where sometimes you have to start the item twice because it fails the first time. But I think this is screen saver related so maybe just a longer wait time is needed.

After the first release I may look into a searchable library to find music by title, artist or genre.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 01:43:09 PM by redindian »

June 17, 2009, 12:25:38 AM
Reply #1

pcdthebum1

This looks like a pretty good undertaking you are taking. Can't wait to try it out

June 17, 2009, 12:29:21 AM
Reply #2

eliafino

That's incredible!!!

June 17, 2009, 02:07:13 AM
Reply #3

beanian

Weird! I was just about to post a topic about the possibility of something like this!! Looks great. I'm getting my hands on a hp touchsmart pc so this app will be the business with that. Just touch the song i want and it get played back via my home theater system. Genius!!

Any idea when you will have this in a releasable state? More than happy to assist in beta testing if it is required.

Cheers,
Ian

June 17, 2009, 07:19:42 AM
Reply #4

redindian

This is going to be released very soon. Of course as a alpha test version first. So please be the first to test it. :-)

Also, if you like touching... I've added a small iPod with touch interface as well. See first post.

June 17, 2009, 07:21:35 AM
Reply #5

Phaeton

Thats what I was waiting for. I've got a projector and I don't want to power it up and waste Lamp time for playing music.

e: and even an iPod Touch interface. Gets better every time :)

June 17, 2009, 07:24:04 AM
Reply #6

eliafino

Is for ext3-boot?
Package dependence?

Post the alpha version ;-)

June 17, 2009, 09:24:08 AM
Reply #7

hahaha

I'm a little confused here ???.  Do I play music/video (saved on WDTV) with computer or I play music/video (save on PC) with WDTV?

June 17, 2009, 10:03:43 AM
Reply #8

redindian

You can do both:

1. BROWSE from any web browser, then START music/movie that will then be PLAYED ON THE WDTV
2. BROWSE from any web browser, then LISTEN to music IN YOUR BROWSER that is available on the WDTV

And I'm planning to make it work on both firmwares, but I work on ext3-boot.

June 17, 2009, 12:35:26 PM
Reply #9

hahaha

You can do both:

1. BROWSE from any web browser, then START music/movie that will then be PLAYED ON THE WDTV
2. BROWSE from any web browser, then LISTEN to music IN YOUR BROWSER that is available on the WDTV

And I'm planning to make it work on both firmwares, but I work on ext3-boot.

What's the benefit to use a web brower to start music/movie that will be played on WDTV?  Can't I just use remote control to do it?

June 17, 2009, 01:32:58 PM
Reply #10

redindian

Yes, you can always use the remote.

The main reason would be starting music without using the remote or looking at the screen. I have my TV turned off, but I can now still start music coming from the WDTV.

Also, if I'm in another room, I could open up the WDTV web interface and play some tunes from my WDTV on my laptop.

Movies are less straight forward, but it could become a nice way to browse through your collection, check movie info before hand and maybe even start it and then walk to the couch and wait for the movie to start.

UPDATE: I've added some more options, you can now browse through your movies in contentflow (coverflow imitation) and after you click a movie, you'll get the detailed information as normally presented by my upcoming osd modification.

June 17, 2009, 01:43:11 PM
Reply #11

mumbojumbo

First of all- stuff like this is exactly why I bought the WDTV.  Well done redindian!  Any chance I can get my hands on a pre-alpha?  :P

Re: Why would you want to control from the web?

Anyone that has it hooked up to a projector and doesn't want to burn up bulb hours, not to mention a fair amount of energy to perform fairly simplistic functions.

June 17, 2009, 09:54:08 PM
Reply #12

corey

Very nice. What scripting language are you using for the web interface?

June 17, 2009, 11:20:45 PM
Reply #13

redindian

The scripting language is PHP. The player is in Flash. The 'plugins' like the iPod and coverflow are just public javascripts. The movie preview is done by parsing the actual DMA OSD XML files. This code is also PHP and you can find it on this forum.

June 17, 2009, 11:43:44 PM
Reply #14

corey

The scripting language is PHP. The player is in Flash. The 'plugins' like the iPod and coverflow are just public javascripts. The movie preview is done by parsing the actual DMA OSD XML files. This code is also PHP and you can find it on this forum.

Thanks for the info.  I' looking forward to seeing your php source and learning how to control the OSD with PHP.

Did you develop the flash?  If so, any chance of seeing the source files?  I am not a flash developer, but am always interested in seeing how things like this interact with each other.