Author Topic: WDTV Software Update 1.02.08  (Read 51438 times)

June 12, 2009, 06:55:28 AM
Reply #60

larry sellers

Being the parent of a toddler, I keep my wdtv in the bedroom. The 95% of the movies I watch are not appropriate for children, so it stays where little eyes cannot see. I am sure my wife would love DTS surround in the bedroom b/c she is a night owl, but waking up to that might make me a little cranky.
Video:
wdtv (hdmi output) -> Sony KV-30HS420
xbox 360 (flash mod, hdmi output) -> Sony KV-30HS420

Audio:
wdtv (toslink output) -> Sony STR-DA3000ES -> Harman Kardon HKTS-18
xbox 360 (toslink output) -> Sony STR-DA3000ES -> Harman Kardon HKTS-18

June 13, 2009, 02:21:04 AM
Reply #61

veadtuck

so... buy one... really.

this is the strangest thing i've ever heard. to have a hdtv and no soundsystem.  ???

Yeah, 'cause we all have loads of money.
really... if you can buy a flatscreen, and want to watch hd-mkvs, it's only half of the game to have no soundsystem.

June 13, 2009, 04:51:23 AM
Reply #62

Tobber

really... if you can buy a flatscreen, and want to watch hd-mkvs, it's only half of the game to have no soundsystem.

Not exactlly because 90% what you perceive is through the eyes, only 10% trough your ears - this applies while watching a movie...

June 13, 2009, 05:11:40 AM
Reply #63

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools

Not exactlly because 90% what you perceive is through the eyes, only 10% trough your ears - this applies while watching a movie...

This maybe scientifically right, but the problem is that one personally does not see it that way =)

I've a 50" plasma and no surround sound system because a good surround system costs about 1.5-2 times as much as the flat screen and the sound system wouldn't really be able to shine in the current room (tiles on the floor and some glass vitrines). Now, while the plasma has a superb image and I enjoy it, when watching action scene I'm always missing surround sound (and definitely more than 10% =). It's the reason I'm still going to the cinema for good action movies.

ciao,
elm

June 13, 2009, 05:48:07 AM
Reply #64

veadtuck

i absolutely NOT agree with that. :D

@elmarwebar, also i do not agree to your statement, that a good soundsystem has to be 1.5-2 times as much as the flatscreen. my new samsung 46" cost me 800, my "old" marantz 6001 and teufel concept m speakers were together 500... and believe me, these little bastards are really good enough for "normal" dts/ac3.

so having a good soundsystem is for normal purpose much cheaper than a good flatpanel.

to come back to topic:

of course, it would help some people if wdtv could decode dts. but i think that will be too much cpu-power (if wdtv will decode this by software), which the wdtv doesn't have. also is this a license-thing. to have dts-hardware, to decode the stuff on hardware-base. also my samsung flatscreen decodes only ac3, and no dts.

June 13, 2009, 06:04:28 AM
Reply #65

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools
@elmarwebar, also i do not agree to your statement, that a good soundsystem has to be 1.5-2 times as much as the flatscreen. my new samsung 46" cost me 800, my "old" marantz 6001 and teufel concept m speakers were together 500... and believe me, these little bastards are really good enough for "normal" dts/ac3.

so having a good soundsystem is for normal purpose much cheaper than a good flatpanel.

You are right of course for home cinema purposes. I forgot to mention that for my use case the front speakers would also be used for a lot of Jazz and Classic music. And currently the problem (with regard to money =) is that I still hear a notable difference between smaller satellites like the Teufel speakers and full range speakers.
For home cinema the Teufel systems are very good for surround, I friend of mine has the Concepts too (don't know the model name, the ones with the stand integrated and that are a meter high). Maybe in the long term going with two systems, one for 5.1 and one music is the better solution, but because of the poor acoustics of my current living room it wouldn't matter anyway.

ciao,
elm

June 13, 2009, 10:31:42 AM
Reply #66

bobosquishy

Obviously there is no reason for the built-in speakers on a tv to exist.  End of discussion.
I reserve the right to ignore you for any reason.

June 15, 2009, 01:34:20 PM
Reply #67

BDamian

Hi,

Im steel having problems with subtitles. I dont know why but the only firmware version that subtitles works ok is 1.01.02

Every further version has the same problem. With most subtitles do not show double lines.

If the dialog have only one line, it work great, better than previous versions. But the second (and the other) lines are not showned.

Are you aware of this problem?
Thanks.

June 15, 2009, 02:07:07 PM
Reply #68

BDamian

Well, I find the subtitles problem.

In earlier versions, the subtitles files that best worked was .ssa
Now, with this type of files, WDTV has problmes. I changed the file type to .str and work realy good.

June 15, 2009, 04:21:07 PM
Reply #69

bobosquishy

I changed the file type to .str and work realy good.

Did you mean .srt?
I reserve the right to ignore you for any reason.

June 16, 2009, 02:01:31 AM
Reply #70

~ kyogoku ~

• Personal Text
    ♫..♪♫ One more time, One more chance ♪♫..♪
has anyone know when the official firmware will be released? :)

June 16, 2009, 07:13:53 PM
Reply #71

catire

September 15, 2009, 12:07:43 PM
Reply #72

heathtrost

I read in the readme for this firmware update it would fix the issue of

-  USB drive spindown on WDTV standby

I have applied this firmware and it appears my usb passport drive is still powered up and running warm.

September 15, 2009, 12:58:11 PM
Reply #73

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Obviously there is no reason for the built-in speakers on a tv to exist.  End of discussion.

They come with speakers???

Actually my TV has no speakers and no tuner. Just the way it should be.

And I don't think my 4x3' Klipsch speakers would fit in any tv anyway :)

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.