Author Topic: has the WDTV Live been improved since Dec. 2012?  (Read 981 times)

August 28, 2013, 01:32:37 PM
Read 981 times

zurt

Hello.  New member here.

I bought a WDTV Live in Dec. 2012, hoping that it would replace my super-buggy Boxee Box.  But I was disappointed in the WDTV Live, and returned it, for these reasons:

- doesn't automatically stop playing Netflix content when TV is turned off, but...
- you can always turn the box off with a press of the power button
- buggy
- compared to the BB, it's unresponsive
- IR remote is not as usable as the BB's RF remote
- fewer features and less customizable than BB
- no physical power switch, so when it crashes, have to go unplug it
- doesn't integrate all sources into one library

My question is, has the WDTV Live been improved significantly since Dec. 2012?  I see from the WD website that there seem to have been up to 11 firmware updates for the WDTV Live since Dec. 2012 (which is way better than the ZERO updates for the BB since then), but I don't know if those updates have improved the user experience enough to warrant buying the box again.

Basically, what I want is:

- no really annoying bugs
- responsiveness
- plays pretty much all movie formats (when I bought the WDTV Live in Dec. 2012, it played everything I tried on it)
- nice library/catalog for movies, showing cover art, cast & crew info, synopses, etc.
- does Netflix well

Any comments are appreciated!

(BTW, are there any former Boxee Box owners here?  If so, I'd be particularly interested in your thoughts, after you switched to the WDTV Live.)

August 28, 2013, 03:24:58 PM
Reply #1

mizkitty64

The WDTV will play almost any file locally...and handles windows shares without DLNA...which I love.

But it's had a bad YouTube bug for a while now...through several firmware updates...and still not fixed.
Won't do playlists...reboots at end of first video.

I've noticed if you quit the video just before the end...then start another video...it works...but hardly practical for a "native" YouTube client.

September 02, 2013, 01:29:12 AM
Reply #2

Techflaws

• Tech Flaws - Things Can Only Get Better
The Boxee box did not seem any more responsive to me but its fan annoyed the hell out of me so I returned it after a couple of days. I don't use it but the WDTV's media library supposedly integrates all sources. So maybe you should give the current model a try. From what I've read, the Netflix issues originated with them.