Author Topic: No sound on one folder  (Read 1010 times)

August 14, 2013, 10:26:05 AM
Read 1010 times

lucianp

I have a WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player with USB connected HDD connected to a TV via HDMI. It is also network connected via Netgear Powerline. I have had this set up since October 2011 without a problem. The latest updates are installed. v1.06.42_B

Yesterday, the weirdest thing happened.

I copied a folder with 4 episodes of a program I watch from my PC HDD to the media HDD but there was no sound. Thinking there was a problem with the files during transfer, I watched the programs on my PC from the HDD on my PC. Everything worked fine.

I then watched the same programs on my PC linked to the media HDD. It worked fine. So now I went back to the TV to try it again and still no sound. This is weird!
The files are on my media HDD (USB connected to WDTVLive) I can watch them over the network to my PC but not on the TV.

I tried other files and was able to watch those on the TV, no problem. OK, is it just recently transferred files? I copied some more files over and they are fine. The file format is the same too (AVI) so that is not the issue.

I deleted the files and then copied them again, same problem but it also asked if I wanted to Resume or Start again. Could the problem be memory or some other retention device? I deleted the files again, turned off the WDTVPlus and the HDD for half a day hoping they would drain from memory, recopied the files and still there is no sound when watching them from the TV. I tried copying to a new folder, I tried renaming and then copying to another new folder but still no sound on the TV but I can watch them OK over the network.

It's only the one folder and it is driving me scatty. Any ideas, anyone?
My disclaimer:
I'm not a Guru, do not profess or pretend to be, I only suggest what I would try.

August 14, 2013, 08:46:57 PM
Reply #1

Techflaws

• Tech Flaws - Things Can Only Get Better
AVI is jut a container that can hold a lot of codecs. Use Mediainfo to determine what codec is used in the files that don't play and set the WDTV's output to Stereo for a test.

August 15, 2013, 07:30:24 AM
Reply #2

lucianp

Thank you for the reply. I just learned something new  :)

It seems that all my audio codecs are MPEG Audio layer 3 but the offending files are AC3.

How do I get WDTV to recognize this codec?

The output was already set to stereo so I tried the other settings, to no avail  :(
My disclaimer:
I'm not a Guru, do not profess or pretend to be, I only suggest what I would try.