Author Topic: BUG v1.06.43 - Playback issues from network share  (Read 2567 times)

August 12, 2013, 01:17:26 AM
Read 2567 times

jonathansmr

Hi everyone,

I started having this issue only since updating to the latest firmware 1.06.43, or at least I never noticed it before, this is my set up:
Living room with WDTV Streaming and 3TB MyBook HD attached with USB cable, connected to local network using Ethernet over PowerLine adapter.
Bedroom with WDVTV Live connected to home network using Ethernet over PowerLine.

All videos (ISO, MP4, MKV, AVI, VOB, etc) stored in MyBook HD can be play with no issues in the living room, same videos played on PC, Laptop, tablets, etc play perfectly fine as well (devices connected either via WiFi or Ethernet over PowerLine)...
...Same videos played from WDTV Live in bedroom (connected using Ethernet over PowerLine) will freeze every time, I have tried avi, mkv, iso, mp4, etc, all will freeze during playback and after 20~30 seconds will resume playing with no sound and seemingly on fast forward. The only way to resume normal playback is to exit the video and start it up again, only to get the same issue repeated 5, 10, 20, 30, minutes later...very annoying.
Rebooting the modem or factory resetting have no effects. Plugging the HD directly to the WDTV Live player works perfectly.

Have tried moving WDTV Live to another room with a different Ethernet over PowerLine adapter and different ethernet cable, same problem. As I said, all other devices can access the same media files, over either WiFi or Ethernet with no playback issues, and I am 99% certain this only started with the new firmware.

I have also tried using dynamic and static IP addresses, no difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

August 12, 2013, 06:01:32 AM
Reply #1

Techflaws

• Tech Flaws - Things Can Only Get Better
Are you certain the devices are named differently? Factory default is "WDTVLive" and having two of those in the network can confuse routers.

August 14, 2013, 03:26:43 AM
Reply #2

jonathansmr

Thanks for that reply, and yes, the second device is named WDTVLive2.

August 14, 2013, 08:19:23 AM
Reply #3

lucianp

I am thinking it may be a powerline issue. Do you have anything else plugged into the same outlet? If you have a double socket, they are, in essence, the same outlet.

When I first set up my powerline, I had a touch lamp plugged into the same outlet pair and would keep going on/off whenever I was using the network. I found that when using powerline adapters you cannot have anything else connected to the same outlet. For instance, you cannot have your TV and powerline adapter on the same outlet pair, and multi-outlet strips are a definite no-no.

I hope this helps.
My disclaimer:
I'm not a Guru, do not profess or pretend to be, I only suggest what I would try.

August 16, 2013, 05:44:57 AM
Reply #4

jonathansmr

Well it doesn't hurt to try, I have the tv on the same socket. But it wouldn't explain why it worked for months before

August 17, 2013, 05:53:03 AM
Reply #5

jonathansmr

Tv on extension cord from different power point, same problem

August 17, 2013, 11:00:00 AM
Reply #6

lucianp

First thought was shared power from the same outlets (I believe searches on the inet suggested not sharing outlets and I think the manufacturer may have also).

I assumed, maybe wrongly, that this was a new setup. If it worked prior to your firmware upgrades, all I can offer is:-

Does the bedroom unit work ok if set up in the livingroom and attached directly to the storage? ie: has this unit suddenly gone south?

Is is possible to downgrade to previous firmware? Perhaps someone can help out here?
My disclaimer:
I'm not a Guru, do not profess or pretend to be, I only suggest what I would try.

October 19, 2013, 04:30:52 AM
Reply #8

Chaz21

Was this issue ever resolved? A followup would be nice.