Author Topic: Can't connect to network share after PC reboot  (Read 1062 times)

August 09, 2013, 01:44:59 PM
Read 1062 times

VelvetElvis

Hi all;

Using Windows 7.  Switching from media server access to network shares.  Setup went well, I thought.  Used it for several hours with no problem.  Next day, after restarting PC/modem/router and turning on the WD box, it sits forever trying to find my PC's network share.

If I reset the WD box via the "Device Reset" menu option, my PC shows up immediately.  If I don't, it sits there forever looking for my PC.  Done this several days in a row.  Turning the WD box off and back on is not a problem.  The problem occurs after a PC shutdown and restart.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

August 11, 2013, 10:32:28 AM
Reply #1

matts156

I have this problem all the time.  I've had a great deal of success with getting it to reconnect with the following.

This part only has to be done once.  I've found that when I use Automatic setup in the WDTV player's network settings, the available IP address assigned to my WDTV tends to change. So in the Port Forwarding / Port Triggering settings of my router, I assigned a static IP address to my WDTV player (e.g., 192.168.1.9).  I assigned all ports to 41417 and the protocol to TCP.  I set up a second entry, also with ports 41417, but the protocol set this time to UDP.

In my player's network settings, I used manual setup and set up my player to the above IP address.

When I'm unable to connect to my network shares, I simply go to the WDTV network settings and go to manual setup.  There's no need to change any of the settings, just go to the Finish button at the bottom and click the remote's OK button.  Try to connect to your network shares again.

I've been able to consistently connect to my network shares ever since I set it up this way. Hopefully this will work for you.

August 18, 2013, 06:23:19 AM
Reply #2

VelvetElvis

Wow, lots of info there.  Thanks so much.  I will see if I can give this a shot.  A co-worker suggested giving my device a fixed I.P., but I wasn't quite sure how to go about it.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!