Author Topic: WDTV has stopped playing AVI files  (Read 7907 times)

July 27, 2013, 02:14:44 PM
Read 7907 times

bickers

I have a recently-bought WDTV that was working fine, but having just come back from holiday during which time it was switched off I find that is now not reading AVI files. MP4s are ok, but if I try to play AVI files that worked fine before I went away I receive a message that states: "Browse error: Content not available". The files are still there in my library and the WDTV sees them, but just won't play them. I have updated the firmware today to the latest official version, but nothing changed. The WDTV connects to the media stored on a QNAP TS-412 via wifi.

I've found a few forum threads that mention the same error message, but with problems that don't match mine. Nothing has changed with my QNAP in terms of shares or permissions.

I'd welcome any help, as I'm stuck!

Thanks
Ian

August 08, 2013, 04:44:27 PM
Reply #1

NavigatorBlack

Having the same problem here.

Suddenly the WDTV Live just stopped playing .avi files. It was playing them fine, now they just won't start playing. And ones that played fine very recently, also won't play.

I've read about the content of the .avi being unsupported but that's not my problem as .avi files that played fine a week ago, now do not play.
Powering off and on doesn't help, the vids play fine on the computers etc. It's not that they are unsupportable contents (ie Sony video stuff), it just will not play .avi.

No help has been found online on this topic hence my posting here.

August 08, 2013, 08:48:01 PM
Reply #2

Techflaws

• Tech Flaws - Things Can Only Get Better
If you suddenly connect via media server instead of SMB, it's possible the media server cannot handle the codecs that are inside the AVI containers.

August 09, 2013, 06:14:27 AM
Reply #3

NavigatorBlack

If you suddenly connect via media server instead of SMB, it's possible the media server cannot handle the codecs that are inside the AVI containers.

I don't think that's it. We were watching some TV, .avi format, and all was playing just fine. In the same TV watching session I just moved ahead to the next episode and that's when the box stopped playing the videos. I went back to the previous episode, wouldn't play. Checked other .avi files, same thing, just sits there with the first frame.

So there was no change in connection, in power, in updating etc. Just a sudden "nope, I don't want to play these any more" reaction.

August 09, 2013, 08:49:44 PM
Reply #4

Techflaws

• Tech Flaws - Things Can Only Get Better
Depending on where you get your TV shows it, is possible that codecs were switched between episodes. There's also a bug that makes the WDTV stop playback of ANY file once playback of a "corrupt" file has been tried. In that case you need to power-cycle the device to get it to play back proper files. To be sure you could use VirtualDub(mod) with direct stream copy to upload a 2 min sample to Sendspace.com so people can try it on their WDTVs.

August 12, 2013, 07:07:47 AM
Reply #5

NavigatorBlack

Depending on where you get your TV shows it, is possible that codecs were switched between episodes. There's also a bug that makes the WDTV stop playback of ANY file once playback of a "corrupt" file has been tried. In that case you need to power-cycle the device to get it to play back proper files. To be sure you could use VirtualDub(mod) with direct stream copy to upload a 2 min sample to Sendspace.com so people can try it on their WDTVs.

The bug could be the cause.

The shows were all downloaded at once so it wasn't streaming or anything, so codecs wouldn't change. Possibly there was a "corruption" and that caused a snowball effect, though the episode file that came up when this issue started plays fine on the computer. Not sure how I'd check to see if it is "corrupt" or not for the purposes of what the WDTV box thinks is a corrupted file.

I swear this device is both a gift from heaven and a curse from hell!

Will give it a full power cycle tonight and see what happens.