Author Topic: Sudden poor performance  (Read 1662 times)

July 27, 2013, 02:25:56 AM
Read 1662 times

WorldScaper

Greetings all.  Had to come register here as my WDTV box is suddenly giving me jip and I am not sure why. 
I have a WDTV Live Streaming [Gen3] (WDBGXT0000BK-02) box and it has been working pretty great for the last 2 months since I bought it, but now its starting to annoy me.  Ignoring the constant stupidity about logins and it being unable to find windows shares (GRRR!!), it is now starting to refuse to play files correctly.
Last night I was playing a 1080p x264 encoded film, like I have a hundred times before, but the box started to freak out, pausing ever 30 seconds as though it were not getting enough data.  The box is connected to my hub via a wired connection, so network speed is not the issue and the file itself checks out fine and indeed plays fine when I plug my main PC into my TV and use the same network cable that my WDTV box uses.
I should note that this is not on *all* movie files but the issue is becoming more and more common the longer I have the box.

Anyone got any thoughts or suggestions?  I know my model cannot use the custom firmwares that are out there so is it just failing hardware?  Cheers for any input!

July 27, 2013, 06:23:53 AM
Reply #1

Techflaws

• Tech Flaws - Things Can Only Get Better
Have you done any changes to your network in the meatime that might reflect badly on WDTV's performance?

July 27, 2013, 07:48:39 AM
Reply #2

WorldScaper

...I did just say above that my PC, when put in the place of the WDTV, can play the files that stutter without a flaw.  Unless the WDTV has some special requirements of which I am unaware, then it should be able to do what my PC is doing.  Furthermore, there are no "changes" I could make that would matter one jot.  The file is being streamed from a server and any other device (my PC, my laptop, my Blu Ray player) is perfectly capable of handling it so the WDTV should be able to as well.

(Oh and a note for whoever manages this board:  Having to a captcha check *everY* damned time you post? Really?)

July 27, 2013, 08:47:47 PM
Reply #3

Techflaws

The fact the other PCs can do it has no bearing on the WDTV, just like files playing back fine in VLC haven't. But if you've got all that figured out already, fine by me.

July 28, 2013, 03:05:58 AM
Reply #4

WorldScaper

It has massive bearing on the WDTV as it proves that the file is not corrupt and that the network connection is sufficient to stream the film.  As these are the only parts of the problem that could be caused by me or my equipment, it was vital for me to rule them out before pointing the finger of blame at the WD box.

I take it then that no one is actually interested in giving help or advice and that no one from WD themselves actually ever reads this forum.  Helpful...

July 28, 2013, 11:12:12 AM
Reply #5

Techflaws

Why would anyone from WD read this forum when they've got their very own?

July 28, 2013, 01:20:37 PM
Reply #6

mizkitty64

Does the file play fine from a USB stick when attached directly to the WDTV?

You say you're using a network share...playing directly....so that takes a media/DLNA server problem out of the equation.