Author Topic: Folder structures - it's drving me mad...mad I tell you!  (Read 1418 times)

July 06, 2013, 04:19:39 PM
Read 1418 times

grubar30

Here goes.....

I have a WD HD Live with a Segate 2TB HD connected via USB.
I can see the WD TV Live via Windows 7 > Network - it comes up as ‘WDTVLIVE’.
I can see 2TB HD in windows - its comes up as ‘disk-0’.

Within that drive I created a folder called 'Movies'.  Within that I dump my movies, e.g. 12 Angry Men (1957), 2001 - A Space Odyssey (1968), etc 

Note: the folder name is the movie title with the release date in brackets.

So it looks like this:
Disk-0
 - Movies
   - 12 Angry Men (1957)
      - 12 Angry Men.avi
      - 12 Angry Men.xml
      - movie.xml
      - folder.jpg
      - backdrop.jpg
      - backdrop1.jpg
      - backdrop2.jpg
   - 2001 - A Space Odyssey (1968)
      - 2001 - A Space Odyssey (1968).avi
      - 2001 - A Space Odyssey (1968).xml
      - movie.xml
      - folder.jpg
      - backdrop.jpg
      - backdrop1.jpg
      - backdrop2.jpg

Note:  the above files were created using Windows Media Centre Master v2.07 with the option 'Generate WDTV-compatible metadata .xml'.

So here's my first issue

1. When I go to WD TV Live and click Videos, it goes to a screen titled 'Videos:Folders' and shows a single black folder. I click through that and it goes to another screen titled 'Video:Folders:Movies’ and shows a single black folder. It's only when I click that one that it starts to display the movies.

So in essence, I have to do 3 clicks before I even get to see my movie titles.  Serious?!?!   

Whereas I want it to work like this:
-   Go to WD TV Live and click Video
-   See the movie folder and click .
-   All my movie titles appear

It should be that simple as that is the logic of the folder structure.

Second issue.....

When I'm browsing the folder at the 'Movies' folder level (that is, I don't go into the actually movie folder itself), it doesn't show the date, director, genre, etc...it just says n/a.  How can I get these parameters to populate? 

Third issue....

When I go into the actual movie folder itself - e.g. 12 Angry Men (1957) - the movie image is blank....the backdrops do show though. 

This doesn't make sense as at the 'Movies' folder level the images do show.....that tells me that WD TV Live knows to use use 'folder.jpg' (i.e. Movies > 12 Angry Men (1957) > folder.jpg).

Arrggghhhh!!!

I've been troubleshooting for days now and I've just about given up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
George

August 14, 2013, 03:31:30 PM
Reply #1

lucianp

Instead of viewing your movies via Windows 7 > Network > WDTVLIVE > Movies,  map directly to the drive.

Start > Computer > Map network drive ( on menu bar)
Select a drive letter. I tend to use a letter that is descriptive P for Photos, M for Music, V for Video etc.
Either browse Network > WDTVLIVE or type \\WDTVLIVE\Movies
check Reconnect at logon
Finish

Click on the link to open Movies folder and save location in Favorites.
My disclaimer:
I'm not a Guru, do not profess or pretend to be, I only suggest what I would try.