Author Topic: PS3 interferes with WDTV seeing media servers  (Read 1089 times)

June 22, 2013, 08:01:58 AM
Read 1089 times

Mech0T1

This is my first post, pardon me if I broke some rule(s).  Not sure if this is the correct forum.

Anyway, I bought the WD Live TV media player about 2 months ago for our bedroom TV.  Got it all setup and running and was very impressed, looks good, nice interface, works very well - just as good as playing content on my PS3. 

However, my 2nd time booting up I couldn't find any media servers (at the time, I was running Mezzmo as my media server).  It wouldn't show up.  I updated firmware, read the manual, rebooted many times, reconnected to network, changed some settings, every troubleshooting idea I could think of, but it would NOT show up on the media server list.  For days I kept trying over and over and only intermittently had it work.  There seemed to be no pattern.  I was about to pack it up and return it to Costco, when I tried a long shot.  I came down to the family room and turned off my PS3 (we would often leave it on).  Within 30 seconds my media server(s) showed up on the WD!  (Note; I had tried installing PS3 Media Server in case it was an issue with Mezzmo, but it performed identically to Mezzmo).  So I came back down the family room and turned on the PS3 again, and my media servers immediately disappeared from the WD.  Since then I've re-created this functionality probably 2 dozen times, and pretty much every time as soon as I turn off the PS3, the WD shows the media servers and I'm good to go.

I haven't seen this anywhere in my googling, so wondering if anyone can shed some light...  Tech details :

D-Link DIR-655 router with pretty much default settings
PS3 with wired ethernet connection to router
WD Live TV player with wireLESS connection to router
Mezzmo media server installed on desktop computer downstairs
PS3 media server " " " " ".
Windows 7 on desktop computer.  All "media streaming" enabled on desktop. 
Dynamic IP addresses on router

Like I said, functionality is ~100% good when PS3 is off, so I don't think it's a problem with the desktop computer, or with the two media servers, or firewalls or anything like that.  It just seems like the PS3 is somehow blocking the WD player from talking to the media servers when the PS3 is on.  Anyone got any ideas? 

Also note; I use a media server because that's my preference, I don't want to switch to Windows Shares or whatever.  I want to get the media server(s) working reliably.

Thanks!

September 10, 2013, 01:25:56 PM
Reply #1

Mech0T1

I was surprised that nobody else commented with the same problem.  I *think* I've solved it.  Initially I tried giving the WD a static IP address.  This appeared to work the first time I tried it, but then it stopped working and never worked again (again, this is with my PS3 already on). 

I found some people commenting online about ensuring "Multi-cast streams" are on.  I didn't know what this was so I went looking through my router (Dlink DIR-655).  I found this setting under ADVANCED --> ADVANCED NETWORK, and it's just a checkbox at the bottom of the page.  I turned on the checkbox, tried out the WD, and it worked!  I then kept trying it every few hours (always with the PS3 on) and it worked 100%.  Both media servers (Mezzmo and PS3 Media Server) always show up immediately!  So unless something changes, it appears to be fixed.  In retrospect, this setting's name implies that if it's not checked, it will only stream to one device at a time, and for some reason, the PS3 always takes precedence (maybe because it's wired, while the WD is wireless). 

Hope this is helpful to someone else.