Author Topic: YouTube probs with WDTV Live  (Read 14338 times)

June 15, 2013, 06:51:32 PM
Read 14338 times

Albinoni

Hi everybody here, I am from Perth, Western Australia. About two years ago or prob bit less I bought  a WDTV Live media layer came home hooked it up and connected it to my network, it has worked flawlessly till recently.

Within the past week or so I have been having problems with YouTube and basically this is what happens:

I have been having issues recently with my WDTV Player (Western Digital) in the last week or so after I watch a YouTube clip all of a sudden it will simply reset/reboot itself. This only seems to happen after I watch a YouTube clip where it will just simply reboot itself.

Now this only seems to be happening when I am watching anything to do with gadgets/electronics eg reviews on mobile phones, cameras, computer stuff etc, and as soon as that clip has finished the WDTV will reboot itself.

But I was also watching something on cars eg Mercedes AMG and did not seem to have issues.

Anyone else having the same problem ?

Thanks

June 16, 2013, 04:47:48 PM
Reply #1

misterpowers

I am having the same problem. Whenever I watch nearly any youtube video the device will decide to restart afterward. It is really impractical, I just purchased this the other day and I am already considering returning it considering I bought it primarily for youtube.

Is there a fix for this issue at the moment?

June 19, 2013, 04:38:28 AM
Reply #2

Albinoni

Hi Misterpowers I am wondering if this has anything to do with a firmware update, I did do a firmware update on it about 2 weeks or so ago and ever since this update I have been having these YouTube problems

Are you able to check your firmware update and tell me which one it is.

Mine is version 1.15.10

Assume if it is the firmware prob I damm well hope that WD fix up this issue the sooner than later

June 29, 2013, 10:06:26 PM
Reply #3

bg604

I've been having the same problems, right after a video on youtube has finished, the WDTV reboots, soooooooooo annoying!!

fix this WD

July 03, 2013, 03:29:58 AM
Reply #5

lencar

Hello. I have a question regarding fast forwarding when playing videos on the You Tube Video channel. I can only FF by repeatedly pressing the FF button. Is the next button supposed to work on this channel, as it does on others? When I press it after pressing FF, it doesn't move 10 minutes. Is there any other way to FF for You Tube videos. I'm afraid the FF button will be damaged by repeatedly pressing it so much.

Thanks

July 13, 2013, 02:59:43 AM
Reply #6

scoots

Personally, I'm SICK OF ANYTHING WD now!

This problem with YouTube has been going on with my devices for 20 days now. Yes I have multiple devices from this manufacturer, one in particular I had to send in after 9 months of extremely minimal usage and even had to pay shipping for it even though the warranty should have covered that part too.

So, after having these problems with YouTube which started 20 days ago, I first assumed it was the refurbished/recertified unit but then when I plugged in another model, same stupid problem.

Today is the clincher and even though for 19 of the past 20 my units were doing exactly what others above me are advising theirs is too-rebooting AFTER JUST ONE YouTube video is played, this morning yet a new problem.

Power it up, select services then YouTube of course, freakin' problem seems to be with the remote so I fiddle with new batteries, try unplugging the unit and so on. Still problems. Try moving your cursor around and freezing up. Search for a title etc. and select one letter and maybe it enters that one, then click right to maybe try to get to 3 or 4 letters over to another and nothing happens. Wait awhile and the thing goes nuts and finally jumps over a few letters. If you thought you might not have pressed it hard enough-the arrow and pressed again a few times, then the cursor scrambles all over the place.

This thing is brutal and no doubt there are thousands of more people having problems with theirs but the only reason there aren't a bazillion complaining about it right here? Not enough know about this forum and neither did I.

Pretty well done with WD though, I'm not about to spend any more money on this junk since updates are EXTREMELY slow to fix such issues or problems and one wonders if this company cares about its future. Much more advanced and reliable products out there today and for the same money-I won't promote the one I'm picking up today but my son has had it for about a month now and it works flawlessly and no doubt it's why I now see a lot of WD units for sale on the classified websites today too.

Oh yeah, how much did I have to pay for shipping my dud of a WD (the 9 month old unit) back to the company when they sent me a replacement? 12 bucks for a small-piddly small box and for which I paid $112 for in total when supposedly new. I've sent larger items from Canada to the U.S. and it cost me less than this so obviously I paid for some "handling" too, kind of a form of punishment for being such a sucker of a consumer.

Imagine this, WD knows of the problem(s) and in this day of technology, one should assume you'll all be waiting more than a month for a fix/update and that is NOT acceptable IMO.

A P.S. the flakes at Best Buy (yeah they call themselves The Geek Squad) advised that "IF I have a problem within the 1 year warranty, I can simply return it to their store and they'll handle everything too." They of course "tried" to promote their extended warranty but failed to verify for themselves (as salespeople SHOULD know, don't you think?) that as the purchaser, it was all up top me to see that a defective unit gets to the company etc.? I didn't question them on anything since I assumed what they were advising was true.

COMPLAIN to WD and tell them you're p*ssed off! Maybe they'll listen since it doesn't look like a good future for sales of this unit if they won't fix the problems in a timely fashion!

August 15, 2013, 05:29:52 AM
Reply #7

NAT1976

Hi,

I have also being having the same problem since I bought my WDTV at the beginning of June and the problem persists.
Nothing is seeming to be done about this issue, I even thought the last firmware update may have a fix but looking at what it is fixing youtube was never mentioned.

Very poor WD

September 10, 2013, 11:55:09 AM
Reply #8

motorhead01

Made an account to say this:

Ive got the wd tv live for almost two years and i was pretty happy about it. But since youtube crashes after every movie ill give WD one more month before i throw it out of the window. Ill tell all my friend to ditch anything from WD and ill never buy anything from them again. This just sucks.

September 10, 2013, 04:40:45 PM
Reply #9

mizkitty64

The YouTube problem has existed for several months now...through at least a couple of firmware updates.
Obviously not a priority for WD.
If you skip to another video before it ends...it won't reboot...but it won't do playlists on it's own.

I've gotten in the habit of actually downloading YouTube videos to a network share...or just adding them to my Plex Server queue in the browser.
Time to find a Chromecast...I guess.

December 14, 2013, 08:39:40 AM
Reply #10

hugger1975

Sorry I'm bumping am old thread but I'm having the same issue with YouTube.
I'm but sure why I never noticed before add I've owned this for a year.

But it's so frustrating to watch 2vids, only to reset and make me input the phone link each time.
Grrrrrrrr

I won't even get into the 8hr it took me to link to my new pc last week.

December 14, 2013, 06:13:08 PM
Reply #11

mizkitty64

There was a new firmware upgrade for my WDTV Live (Gen 3) just this Thursday AM.
Went from v1.16.13 to v2.01.86.

Complete YouTube redesign...fixed the reboot...automatically plays next video after a 3-2-1 countdown...no reboots.

Was pleasantly surprised...as I had given up on the YouTube app myself.

Had gotten in the habit of downloading YouTube videos to a share on my PC and playing from there.

December 27, 2013, 11:06:04 AM
Reply #12

dazzer73

I have a wdtv live player have done for a good 6 months now, it plays most things fine from my USB external device no problems, where the problems lie are elsewhere quite frankly trying to view a youtube video is shocking the userface is really slow and as others have said it stops to. Compared to other devices the wdtv is way behind and it just feels so sslow I really hope someone could sort this out because you expect better from a brand like WD. I will be getting a roku device this weekend if the problems persist.

February 07, 2014, 03:53:14 AM
Reply #13

slawas2001

I'm from Poland, I had the same problem, the wdtv used to restart when on youtube service.. now there is another video played after 3-5 seconds -  I guess this is not a perfect solution as I dont always want to play another video from the list... also the wdtv freezes a lot especially when starting youtube service or trying to play a video, I have to plug it out from time to time (actually a lot)... I have no idea what to do, I suppose I send it back to shop when its close to the end of the 2 years warranty period - I have no idea what else can I do  >:(

March 31, 2014, 10:21:21 PM
Reply #14

jackherer

I'm from Sweden. Got a same problem. I think this rebooting thing it has to do something with the commercials. I realized that no commercials were played watching YouTube with wd tv ! So I think when YouTube tries to load the commercial clip appropriate to the country and other options like the number of views the YouTube app just crashes... looking for solutions, feel free to mail me with it. :)