Author Topic: vob subtitle sometimes not working  (Read 3983 times)

January 21, 2009, 10:58:47 PM
Read 3983 times

noilivap

I have 1.01.01 f/w. I noticed that when I playback dvd vob file and leave the subtitle on, it will work for a while (~8-10 mins) and then all of a sudden, the subtitle stop working for another 3-5 mins. After that, you can see the video blinks (the screen becomes black) for 1/2 a sec and then everything is back to normal including subtitle. This normal mode would last for another 8-10 mins and then it happen all over again.

I rip the dvd using DVDFab and ShrinkDVD with the same result. Of course, if I play back the vob file using my PC, I have not problem with the subtitle display.

Don't know if anyone out there has the same issue or it's just my unit is doing this?

January 21, 2009, 11:10:16 PM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
This is a known bug with the WDTV.  Hopefully they will get it fixed with the next firmware update.  I recommend you get the current update anyway as it will resolve other issues.  A workaround for you would be to use DVDfab to create an MKV with embedded subs.  This will work without any problems on the WDTV.  You can use the setting: mkv.xvid.audiosource to keep your 5.1 original audio. 
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

May 14, 2009, 01:01:41 PM
Reply #2

SHIBUMI

Hi,,have backed up some foreign dvds on to my hard drive in VOB format using nero adding the subtitle,but when played i have tried every option but cant seem to view the subtitles,-it says no subtitles,but i have chosen the subtitles when i ripped it from the dvd,please help,this is so annoying as i mostly have foreign dvd which require english subtitles.

I later after browsing in the forums managed to find MKV maker which i used and movie is playing fine with the subtitles,but just wondering,does it decreas picture quality when converted to MKV file,which i cant tell the difference from the dvd quality. this is fine apart from having to convert every dvd.

Is the anyway i can view the subtitles when movie is  in  VOB format? please help. thanks

May 15, 2009, 09:02:02 AM
Reply #3

MrMod

This is a known bug with the WDTV.  Hopefully they will get it fixed with the next firmware update.  I recommend you get the current update anyway as it will resolve other issues.  A workaround for you would be to use DVDfab to create an MKV with embedded subs.  This will work without any problems on the WDTV.  You can use the setting: mkv.xvid.audiosource to keep your 5.1 original audio. 

Because the WDTV interprets the color palette as UYV with Y=Y/2 + 128, I don't recommend creating a MKV directly with DVDfab.  A better way is to use DVDfab and select vob, vob.passthru.  Then edit the idx file to correct the color palette.  Then use mkvmerge (part of mkvtoolnix) to mux into a mkv.  It's a lot faster, subs will look better, and you won't be re-encoding into xvid (it will be the original mpeg2 from the DVD)