Author Topic: Random AVI files converted into Folders  (Read 21008 times)

October 31, 2013, 10:28:36 AM
Reply #15

billegge

November 22, 2013, 09:41:21 AM
Reply #16

DocG

Hello :) It's almost ridiculous, but hear my story. It also happened to me. After I disconnected my 500 gig WD Elements USD hard some AVI files appeared like folders. I brosed whole bunch of forums to find solution for this anomaly. Tried to rename to any other extension and after that rename to AVI again......but no success was made. Thos AVI files turned to folders I can't delete either. I was upset and jumped to my Total Commander Ultima Prime to delete those folders. I'm using a built-in progy named "Unlocker" for that. Before the Unlocker was used I've tried to calculate the size of one of those folders. Just to know. I highlited the folder by hitting the space key on folder (usualy calculate the occupied space for files and folders in TC) AND THE MIRACLE HAPPENED - THE FOLDER INSTANTLY TURNED BACK TO WATCHABLE AVI FILE?!?!?!?! I repeat this on all other corrupted avi-files-folders and hey, I didn't beleive my eyes. Every one of them turned back to AVi files after cca. 1 or 2 seconds :) What a....you may try this, too. Kind regards, DocG

March 16, 2014, 11:18:19 AM
Reply #17

DocG

Hello! Here is another second hand solution. I think you may try this and you will see that those corrupted AVI files aren't lost for good. It worked for me and I was able to watch my corrupted AVI (folder) files like any normal video. First you must have installed the BSPlayer or any similar madia player on your PC which can put itself in the Windows Explorers' right-click context menu. Connect your ext. USB disc to your PC and run Windows Explorer. Right click on the corrupted folder with .AVI extension and choose the "Enqueue in BSPlayer" or "Play in BSPlayer" command. The video will be recognized and played by BSPlayer :) Or you may try this little progy:

WD Patch Recovery
https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=5DCED83AB911926A&resid=5DCED83AB911926A%21395&authkey=AE27sU9jf-Gl6PI

Cheers!

March 22, 2014, 03:24:07 AM
Reply #18

WWu777

• Happier Abroad
I've had the same problem too. Once it changes the media files to folders, they can't be deleted. It will say that the folder is too large for the destination recycle bin when I try.

One thing I've noticed is that if you use a WD My Passport external hard drive, this is far less likely to happen. Since using that, this has rarely happened again. It only happens when you use other brands of external hard drives.

June 09, 2014, 12:03:48 AM
Reply #19

gerrycun30

Hi DOCG. Thanks for the help. Your WD patch Recovery really solves it. Can you enlighthen us what caused the problem?...thanks

March 29, 2015, 09:25:15 AM
Reply #20

DocG

Hello gerrycun30 :) I think there is no exact answer given for that anomaly. One of the WD's engineers could spend a little time to solve or explain it? It's happening probably due to WDTV Live's file handling algorithm or due to poor quality of some external USB discs. A HQ WD USB external disc really minimize the problem.  In any case we are just forced to gess the cause and also to invent the cure ;) Simple as that. I suxcceded with that and I went further. Btw. I already sold my WDTV Live. It is also a good solution :D Cheers!