Author Topic: Random AVI files converted into Folders  (Read 21004 times)

October 11, 2012, 04:19:43 PM
Read 21004 times

RFSamford

I have 2TB and 1TB ext Hard drives plugged into the USB ports of my WDTV box. They are filled with AVI, MP4, MP3, and JPG files. I noticed some of my files were missing, so I logged onto the drives through my network connection from my computer (Win7). The missing files have been turned into empty folders! Same name, but showing a folder icon now, and nothing will read them as files anymore. What could be continuing to do this? Please make it stop! I have lost a dozen files in the past two weeks. Please help! - RFS

October 11, 2012, 07:13:49 PM
Reply #1

RavRob

• DeSpammer

A few things you could try.  Not sure if it will work or not but worth a shot.

Connect you HDD to the PC and run chkdsk /f from the command line.  The HDDs could be corrupt

You can also track and delete all instances of .wd_tv.  Multiple of that file could be anywhere on the drive.  Sometimes cause problems to files on the drive.
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television

October 22, 2012, 06:52:06 PM
Reply #2

RFSamford

Thanks. Ran chkdsk /f multiple times. Then removed some files to add space to the disk. It cleaned up the "files" being shown as "folders" by deleting these files completely.
However ...
I unhid the files and folders in explorer (also show system files) and found the missing files and folders being displayed as "hidden".
I right clicked and hit "Properties" and found the "Hidden" check box checked and unaccessable. It is grayed out on all the questionable files and I can't figure out how to "Unhide" these files. The "Hidden" check box is just plain unaccessable.

Have you any advice now that I have gotten everything to this point? - RFS

October 22, 2012, 07:34:12 PM
Reply #3

RFSamford

Found a fix.
When I couldn't get Win7 Explorer to allow me to change the "Hidden" attribute, I reread your reply and it suddenly occurred to me to run ATTRIB from the CMD prompt like you did for chkdsk.
it worked. Running ATTRIB -r -a -h -s *.* /s /d
from the f:\ root dir of my external disk freed up files that were displaying as "Hidden"
I still have a number of files that were converted to folders though. I may have to delete them and recopy them to the drive.
I'll reply back in a few days if my initial problem returns. Thanks for all your help. - RFS

October 23, 2012, 02:29:08 AM
Reply #4

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Tx for coming back with the fix.  I am sure it will be useful for others.
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router

December 01, 2012, 09:22:23 AM
Reply #5

RFSamford

It's got me stumped. My WDTV is continuing to convert my video files into empty folders. It still seems random. Most common is the conversion of the first file in the folder, but I am also loosing other files. Files I have not watched or accessed.

For example, I ripped season one of a TV series I have on DVD. I began watching the series and when I got to Episode 11, I thought, "wasn't there 12 episodes?" Sure enough, ep 12 was now showing as an empty folder of the same name.  I hadn't even had a opportunity to watch it yet. I had to go to the trouble of re-ripping it for my library.

I really thing the WDTV box is doing this. But I can't figure out how or why. Is there anyone else having this problem? - RFS

December 01, 2012, 01:33:54 PM
Reply #6

RavRob

• DeSpammer

I once had a similar problem where the movies just became a 0 byte file, not a folder.  The problem was those pesky .WD_TV files but if you already deleted them all, I am sorry I just can't help.
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router

March 14, 2013, 12:56:10 AM
Reply #7

Shimm

I'm actually experiencing the exact same problem. Very annoying. Do you have NTFS on the external drive? As I suspect that could be a reason for this happening.

March 26, 2013, 05:18:56 AM
Reply #8

RavRob

• DeSpammer

All my drives are NTFS.....
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router

April 02, 2013, 09:41:47 PM
Reply #9

Hoefnix

I have the same problem, it is starting to look like there is a problem with the wdtvlive. On my 2TB NTFS disk files are converted at random to folders. Guess i have to get me a backup disk.

May 10, 2013, 07:03:24 PM
Reply #10

Robb

I'm having the same problem. Random files are being turned into directories with no way to reverse the procedure. What's really weird is that I cannot delete the folders at all. CMD.exe doesn't work nor does windows explorer. I moved the file/now folder to the recycle bin and they will not delete, but can be restored. Until this mess is figured out, I am not going to plug ANY hard drive into my WDTVLive +. I'll just copy my files to a usb key.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 08:20:28 PM by Robb »

May 21, 2013, 10:31:42 AM
Reply #11

lf_machado

Same is happening to me. I have two external HD (2TB & 3TB). So far I found them converted from JPG files. I would expect a response from WD.

May 22, 2013, 01:26:13 PM
Reply #12

RavRob

• DeSpammer

This is not an official WD forum.  Only a user forum to talk about stuff.  To report a problem you may have better chance here
http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-General-Discussions/bd-p/tv_live
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router

August 28, 2013, 06:30:11 AM
Reply #13

Basil

I agree with you to suspect that WD TV Live [WTL] is responsible for this trouble.
However I disconnect any external HD from the WTL (including switching off the WTL before pulling the USB out), if I then connect that external HD to my laptop (windows 7) I am consequently offered a chkdsk scan because I "failed to disconnect properly". If I execute that scan, the files that I have watched just before thereby become unusable and pictured with a little lock. I cannot even delete them.

This problem occurred after I had updated the firmware on my WD TV Live.

It seems odd that WD hasn't offered a solution for this yet...