Author Topic: REQ: WebM and Theora video and Opus and Vorbis aduio codec support  (Read 3320 times)

September 12, 2012, 10:55:14 PM
Read 3320 times

hal2k1

WebM and Theora video and Opus and Vorbis aduio codecs are all open source and royalty free. It costs both users and WD nothing to obtain, install and use these codecs. Opus is now approved by ITEF, and it is a better-performed codec than MP3 or even AAC. WebM is on a par with h264 AVC.

Since there is no royalty cost to WD to implement these codecs and provide them to users, there should be no impediment. Since using these codecs would eliminate any potential legal issue for users, it would be a great feature for WDTV Live to implement them.

Accordingly, I would like to request that these currently unsupported open free codecs be supported by WDTV Live.

July 30, 2013, 06:41:06 PM
Reply #1

Lynx_TWO

I agree, this should probably be included.   I love that the WDTV stops all over the Apple TV, and support for OPUS and the newer VP9 codecs would increase the pwnage.  Good god, 4GB 4K backups, or 2GB 1080P backups with 320kbps 7.1 OPUS audio...  This would be a dream come true for streaming sites like NetFlix.  Not to pay royalty overhead for AAC, AC3+, and H264 would be great for them.

July 31, 2013, 03:30:31 AM
Reply #2

Techflaws

• Tech Flaws - Things Can Only Get Better
It costs both users and WD nothing to obtain, install and use these codecs.
Except manpower. And since these devices have been on the market for some time, I highly doubt you'll get new codec support in any of them.

August 13, 2013, 03:17:23 PM
Reply #3

Lynx_TWO

So include them in new products.  After all, why would I buy an updated WD entertainment device unless there was a good reason to?  I spent $65 on my old WD TV Live Plus, and love it however, nothing would keep me from going with a competitor if they supported more formats.  There is no such thing as brand loyalty in a consumerist electronic world, it is all about who can do more.  Designing a product, yawning, and saying "that's good enough" won't cut it.  In the consumerist technological age, there is no such thing as "good enough"  The movie and audio industry are finally starting to catch on....

August 13, 2013, 08:34:03 PM
Reply #4

Techflaws

Fair enough. Now all you need to do is to tell the people at WD.

January 16, 2014, 05:12:40 PM
Reply #5

turpulator

Rockbox can do it for a Sansa Clip Zip (opus), Shouldn't be to much of an ask for the WD guys.

January 16, 2014, 09:27:33 PM
Reply #6

Techflaws

Tell them that. I'd be interested in their reply (if you get any).