Author Topic: appletrailerfs 0.3.1-beta released / new OSD mods, configurable, auto update  (Read 25209 times)

June 10, 2009, 06:19:07 PM
Read 25209 times

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools

Note: A new version is available. For the latest version and downloads go to http://appletrailerfs.elmarweber.org

(to view this posting in the original format and the screenshots in full resolution go to the appletrailer fs blog posting)

A new version of appletrailerfs has been released. appletrailerfs brings you the Apple movie trailers to the Western Digital TV HD and your PC.

Despite the small version jump this release contains a bunch of new cool features. There is lot of new eye candy due to more thumbnails and also updates to the WDTV OSD. A real auto update mode is added and some long awaited options have been added. Screenshots of the new features are at the end of the article. See the following list for more details.

(For the impatient, download the WDTV application image directly)

*  auto update improvements / fixes
          o added: movie posters and OSD files are downloaded on the fly (they were excluded from autoupdate until now)
          o fixed: when auto update failed during startup appletrailerfs did not start
          o fixed: on WDTV auto update was skipped while the filesystem was running
          o fixed: HTTP error codes were not handled correctly
    * WDTV OSD (see screenshots)
          o added thumbnails to all folders and trailers
                + this will make navigation in thumbnail mode easier
          o added support for OSD mod in thumbnail mode
          o added IMDB rating to OSD screens
          o added 3D effect to movie poster display
    * WDTV general
          o a user config file was added to allow users to specify custom options
                + take a look at appletrailerfs.conf.txt and edit it
                + you can simply hide trailers of a specific resolution or change how trailers are sorted
          o log files are created on boot USB stick if it is writeable
                + this will make debugging easier
          o fixed: folder names with special character’s where not supported correctly
    * added: option to specify auto update interval (–update-interval=SECONDS)
    * added: option to disable auto update (–update-interval=0)
    * added: timecode is added to log messages
    * fixed: database file contained obsolete fields

Thanks go to rezmus for the OSD layouts and cgreenle for the genre icons (they can be found in original at http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=32317).

The WDTV application image is available at http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=259619&filename=appletrailerfs-0.3.1-beta-wdtv.zip.
As always, to use this you need ext3-boot or WDLXTV and you must copy all files from the downloaded ZIP file to your USB boot stick.
If you don't want to use the GUI modifications just delete the file appletrailerfs.app.event from your USB boot stick.

All project files can be downloaded from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=259619.

For future developments and time frames have a look at the roadmap.

Homepage: http://appletrailerfs.elmarweber.org
SourceForge project page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/appletrailerfs

« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 12:16:34 PM by elmarweber »

June 10, 2009, 06:42:24 PM
Reply #1

videomilk

Let me be the first to say wow!! Amazing effort.    Love the Genre thumbnails!  Except all the trailers come up as unable to play movie type.  That sucks.

I should say I removed some options.  My config is like this

--hide-small-trailers
--hide-medium-trailers
#--hide-large-trailers
#--hide-480p-trailers
--hide-720p-trailers
--hide-1080p-trailers

It was working on the previous version though.

EDIT:  Nevermind, It works for me off a fat16 thumbdrive but not my HFS drive.  Cheers
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 04:22:32 AM by videomilk »

June 10, 2009, 09:11:39 PM
Reply #2

pcdthebum1

Just tested it out...works perfectly. I didnt go too extensively into it, but the problems I saw before are gone now! great work

June 11, 2009, 06:12:55 AM
Reply #4

partake

Really beautiful -- vast improvement over the previous version.  Really appreciate it.

June 11, 2009, 06:45:13 AM
Reply #5

CrashX

As always you do amazing work !!!! ;D

Shouldn't the config file be named "appletrailerfs.app.conf" instead of "appletrailerfs.conf.txt" to be consistent ?

June 11, 2009, 07:14:38 AM
Reply #6

zaphod beeblebrox

everything works fine... Changed my configuration, had a .log file... Smooth! You're app is going more amazing every time !

June 11, 2009, 08:14:27 AM
Reply #7

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools
Shouldn't the config file be named "appletrailerfs.app.conf" instead of "appletrailerfs.conf.txt" to be consistent ?

Did not really think about that, I added the .txt file extension so that "normal" users can simply edit it (opens with notepad on Windows). Maybe appletrailerfs.app.conf.txt =)

ciao,
elm

June 11, 2009, 10:29:01 AM
Reply #8

LaurentG

Hi elmarweber.

How did you correct that finally ?

Regards

June 11, 2009, 11:04:00 AM
Reply #9

CrashX

@elmarweber

I don't think people will care. They will always try to open with notepad no matter what. Another thing is make it easier to find if you keep the prefix the same since all the app bin files are located in the root directory.  Perhaps we should have folder for each app bin ...  I am sorry to pick on your naming but people will use yours as a template for their own work ..
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 11:09:41 AM by CrashX »

June 11, 2009, 02:37:16 PM
Reply #10

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools
Hi LaurentG,

How did you correct that finally ?

I did not correct it in the event-osd part, I simply replaced all special characters with normal ones.
The main problem here was with the apostrophe that Apple used. They don't use the normal apostrophe (') but one that looked better (’) but was UTF8 and so meant folder names with \ux123123 or stuff like that.

The fix for event-osd will come tomorrow together with a few other new features.

ciao,
elm

June 11, 2009, 02:45:56 PM
Reply #11

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools
I don't think people will care. They will always try to open with notepad no matter what. Another thing is make it easier to find if you keep the prefix the same since all the app bin files are located in the root directory. 

Sure, but the prefix is still the same and does not really change that much, so if you read

Code: [Select]
appletrailerfs.app.bin
appletrailerfs.app.event
appletrailerfs.conf.txt
appletrailerfs.log
or
Code: [Select]
appletrailerfs.app.bin
appletrailerfs.app.conf.txt
appletrailerfs.app.event
appletrailerfs.app.log

doesn't really matter except for the really obsessive compulsive (no offensive). On the contrary, the latter is probably worse because the end user has nothing to change or do with the .app.* files, he should only be concerned with the ones that don't contain .app. and they are listed neatly at the end in the Explorer window.

Perhaps we should have folder for each app bin ...  I am sorry to pick on your naming but people will use yours as a template for their own work ..
Subfolders will be too much I think. Let's face it, you usually do this stuff once or twice and then you never look at touch the files or even the USB stick again if everything works.

ciao,
elm

June 11, 2009, 03:03:49 PM
Reply #12

draadloos

Is there a way to increase font size in the new GUI? I did not find it in the appletrailerfs.conf.txt. Great improvements in this update! Cheers to Elmar&Rezmus! :D
wireless-WDTV running FW 1.02.07/ext3 0.9.2 with wireless-mod.app.bin 0.3. ICIDU WLAN-adapter, zd1211b (EUR 9.95 at www.mycom.nl).
Streaming all media wireless from WD MyBook World Edition NAS through Sweex wireless router (LC000070). WLAN security by MAC-filter.

June 11, 2009, 03:25:33 PM
Reply #13

LaurentG

The fix for event-osd will come tomorrow together with a few other new features.

8) 8)
So I will be able to finish and deliver tomorrow night a new version of my app too :)

June 16, 2009, 09:44:56 AM
Reply #14

dcrutgers

Hello.. My message.txt is filling up with these messages:

Jun 16 06:53:54 WDTV-95166 user.notice root: Suppress "/tmp/media/usb/USB2/Apple Trailers"
Jun 16 06:54:07 WDTV-95166 user.notice root: Suppress "/tmp/media/usb/USB2/Apple Trailers"
Jun 16 06:54:13 WDTV-95166 user.notice root: Suppress "/tmp/media/usb/USB2/Apple Trailers"
Jun 16 06:54:26 WDTV-95166 user.notice root: Suppress "/tmp/media/usb/USB2/Apple Trailers"

Any idea what maybe going on here?

Thanks!