Author Topic: Networking issues... WDTV LIVE, Multiple routers / switch  (Read 1709 times)

July 16, 2012, 12:39:29 PM
Read 1709 times

zacharyklein

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.. First, my old networking configuration, then will touch on new config with problems

Original: AT&T DSL Wireless cablemodem/gateway.. Had 2 streamers hooked directly into it (one of them a WDTV Live). A third ethernet port was plugged into a a switch in another room.. Hooked into that switch was my laptop, my desktop pc, and another WDTV Live... The desktop pc served as the media server with all the files...  This configuration worked perfectly.. I could access my files through any streamer over the network, and all WDTV machines accessed the internet to stream pandora and hulu, etc through PlayOn software (which was running on my desktop pc)...

NEW: Cablemodem with no gateway/wireless features, a 4-port Belkin N300 wireless router hooked directly into the cablemodem... Plugged into the Belkin router is similar to how I had the AT&T DSL gateway configured (2 streamers and the switch in another room)... In the other room I've tried 2 setups... 1) same switch, connected to same pc, laptop, and wdtv live, and 2) instead of using a switch, i bought a 2nd router and plugged the streamer+pc+laptop into that...

PROBLEM: using any of the newer hardware, the WDTV is not functioning as before...  

When using the 2nd router instead of the switch, the router connected directly into the cablemodem is set as 198.6.1.1, while router2 is set as 198.6.1.2.. DHCP disabled on router2, etc... The desktop and laptop (plugged in to router2) are both setting their gateway as 198.6.1.1 and are getting online with no problems... When the WDTV (plugged into router2) auto-detects the networking, it uses 198.6.1.1 as the gateway as well, and is able to stream PANDORA and access the Internet Media options fine.... Also, it detects the network share, but I get the permissions error as being unable to connect to the share (this is likely an easy permissions fix I'll look into later).. HOWEVER, it will NOT detect the PlayOn server under Video->Media servers...Which is my crux, because I've long used PlayOn and would love to have this accessible... Similar results for the WDTV Plugged into router1, internet connectivity, but unable to access the media server on desktop pc..

Weird part.. If I force the WDTV to use 198.6.1.2 as the gateway (which is the IP for router2).. It actually DETECTS the PlayOn media server, but the software itself won't work because the internet connectivity is crippled... In other words, you can see the options to select after going into the PlayOn menu, but you cant select any of them.. Also, none of the options under Internet Media work as well..

When using the switch the results are identical to the first outcome, where I can access internet media, and can see the network share but not connect to it, but can NOT see the media server...I preferred to use this setup as it was closer to the original configuration, except AT&T's modem had it all-in-one, while the cable company just supports 1 device with no wireless...

Any ideas? Suggestions? Hints? I'm decent with computers but more limited with routers...

BTW with the 2 WDTV Lives.. One is an older normal model, the newer is a WDTV LIVE PLUS.... The 3rd streamer is a Seagate FreeAgent Theatre+ which I do NOT recommend..

Thanks ahead of time!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 01:04:24 PM by zacharyklein »

July 17, 2012, 10:37:54 AM
Reply #1

zacharyklein

just a quick side note.. last night i switched the belkin n300 router out for a zyxel i had laying around and it fixed the problem.. i'm puzzled why and would like to know incase the zyxel craps out on me.. i'd updated firmware, gone over every option in the router config and saw nothing abnormal... no firewall in the way, nothing in the logs showing conflicts.. *shrug*

i plug in the zyxel and without changing a setting everything worked flawless..streamers running in every room with no problem...

weird..