Author Topic: Set up Advice  (Read 1535 times)

July 14, 2012, 08:16:36 AM
Read 1535 times

klonricket

  • Newbie

  • Offline
  • *

  • 1
Hi,

Newbie WDTV forum user here. Have had a WDTV for about 6 months and love it. However, I wanted some advice on my hardware setup.

My current setup is the WDTV is in my living room under the main TV. This is connected via homeplugs to my computer in another room. A third home plug is connected to my BT Infinity Home Hub sharing out the internet to both the WDTV and PC. The computer has a Network Share on the go and 80% of the time everything is good. The other 20% is when the streaming breaks down if I use the computer whilst the someone watches an HD movie on the WDTV or the Windows decides to do something in the background whilst we are streaming a HD movie.

I'm considering buying a WD My Book Live/Essential to take the reliance on computer streaming out of the equation. However, I'm trying to work out the best combination to go for.

The Essential would handy as it could connect to the WDTV via USB however I have to disconnect it and carry it down to the computer to add new content. And unless I go grab a USB 3.0 card I'll have to wait an age to transfer larger files.

The Live could connect to the computer via the homeplug, or directly into the Home Hub's router however this will have use the network to stream to the WDTV.

Has any one got any advice on what I should do? Ideally, I'd love to find something like the Live that could connect to the computer to copy stuff over by ethernet when more convenient, and connect to the WDTV by USB to playback content without touching the network.

Cheers!