Author Topic: Weak Wireless Adapter? WDTV Live Plus  (Read 2350 times)

June 27, 2012, 06:23:43 PM
Read 2350 times

xXGEEBEEXx

Hi all,

I recently purchased my 2nd WDTV Live Plus.  I've been extremely happy with the first one, so I didn't hesitate to pick up another one when the need arose.

The problem I'm having is that the new device seems to have very weak wifi.  My original WDTV is setup about 25 feet from the router, and I get 3 bars solid and I've no issues with stuttering videos.  My new WDTV is 10 feet away from the router (no walls or obstructions), and only gets 1 bar, sometimes no bars.  I've tried swapping locations for both devices, but the new WDTV has the same problem regardless of where it's located.  While the old one is strong anywhere in the apartment.

I am beyond the return period to take this back to the retailer for an exchange.

I'm considering a wired connection for this new device, but hate that I have to resort to that given that I bought this because it was wireless.
I'm also considering getting a USB wireless adapter to plug into the usb port.  Does anyone know if you can use 3rd party USB adapters with the Live Plus?  Will it have the same drivers that are used for the other WDTV devices?

Has anyone had any experiences like this?

Thanks for your input

June 27, 2012, 07:40:31 PM
Reply #1

RavRob

• DeSpammer

What firmware on the device?
Maybe use a custom firmware and stream your movies using NFS.
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television

June 28, 2012, 02:02:07 AM
Reply #2

bodomalo

do you have to use a custom firmware to use NFS?

Yes, the wireless adapter is very strange and weak. At least it shows a really weak signal. Maybe thats the reason my VOB files aren't playing

June 28, 2012, 02:43:51 AM
Reply #3

RavRob

• DeSpammer

The gurus might know if it is possible to use NFS without custom firmware but I would think not since you would have to mount your drives/folder and send to the WDTV shomehow.

The plus needs a USB adapter to work, it doesn't have a integrated wifi.  So maybe swap the USB adapters.
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router

June 28, 2012, 06:01:26 AM
Reply #4

xXGEEBEEXx

Correction, I have the WDTV Live.  The one with the integrated wifi.  Which is why I am asking if a USB wifi adapter is an option for me.

Do you all think that a custom firmware would resolve an issue with the weak wifi signal?  I know this is the cause of the video stuttering, so I think this is what I need to attack first.

June 28, 2012, 07:03:55 AM
Reply #5

RavRob

• DeSpammer

No custom firmware for this machine.  Dunno if you can run NFS....AMOF I have no idea about this machine at all.

Sorry
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router