Author Topic: Just got my WDTV a fwe days ago and none of my MKV files will play.  (Read 3505 times)

June 13, 2012, 10:05:04 AM
Read 3505 times

Lightingbird

Confused

Perhaps, I'm crazy but I could have sworn I read on the features listed on amazon that this thing plays mkv files.  Although, I've tried a good amount of files now and they are simply not detected.

:'( ???

Since then, I have read a few threads here about channig the files and even encoding them to play.  Which I tried with some anime and it worked.  I put it on the wdtv hard-drive and it played.  So I guess I'm wondering is there no way around this or am I doomed to encode every single mkv file?  Just debating if I am going to return this back to Amazon tomorrow if this is true.

June 13, 2012, 12:08:45 PM
Reply #1

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Not sure which version you have but AFAIK mkv's play on all machines.  Certainly plays on my Live.
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television

June 13, 2012, 12:32:27 PM
Reply #2

Lightingbird

Version? 

Do you mean the firmware?  If so I do have the latest that was available.  Also if they are not playing on mine, then they don't play on all machines.

June 14, 2012, 02:09:48 AM
Reply #3

Rev Drew

• DeSpammer

version: live, live plus, live hub, live streaming

I have an original WDTV, a live and a live plus. they all play mkv's perfectly fine.
You laugh because Iím different, I laugh because youíre all the same.

namaste

www.supernews.com/super-special/?i=ZxJfObJynPQ=

June 14, 2012, 11:24:57 AM
Reply #4

Lightingbird

I just got mine last Saturday.  It have the 3.05.10 firmware on it and any mkv's I transfer over to it, it does not see. 

June 15, 2012, 12:16:34 AM
Reply #5

SeptimusFry

I have just posted a thread relating to my WDTVL, not the same beast I think but... my box cannot 'see' MP4 or MKV files which are remote - i.e. on my media server, a W7 platform. However, if I pop them onto a USB stick, then plug them in locally, they are available and play fine.  Perhaps you can experiment along these lines?  Although the boxes are different, they will use most of the same player decoders, I think.