Author Topic: Cross Flashing a Lacie LaCinema Classic HD  (Read 1256 times)

May 16, 2012, 05:55:16 AM
Read 1256 times

fpb

Hi!

First of all, I'm a noob!

I am currently having trouble playing mkv files ripped from Blu-Rays with MakeMKV. I have a Lacie LaCinema Classic HD with firmware 3.28 (modified to give me telnet access). My problem is that after 10-15 minutes playback the video stutters, then completely freezes. Meanwhile, subtitles will still play for a few seconds after video and audio stops.

Last night I did a test while watching the output of the top command and discovered that the problem is that mkv files produced with MakeMKV make the MediaLogic (AV) executable to exhaust system memory. It is a memory leak. The usage keeps increasing and after 10-15 minutes, around 90% it brings to whole system to a halt.

My first idea was to replace MediaLogic executable from Lacie 3.28 firmware with a more recent one from WDTV. Is this feasible? Even better, could I try any of the wdlxtv firmwares?

I also tried to rip the same movie with DVDFab and it played flawlessly in mkv format. No memory leaks while playing it.

Also, If I transcode the problematic MKV file to m2ts format with PS3Muxer, everything is ok also. MKVextract plus MKVmerge didn't solve my problem either.

So, I only see two directions: replace LaCinema firmware (even if just a small part of it) or find a pipeline to fix mkv files produced with MakeMKV.

Any help appreciated and thanks for all the information that is hosted here. I have learned a lot about the device.

EDIT: I just noticed that this got into the wrong section. Sorry!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:33:19 AM by fpb »