Author Topic: My pack enhancing OSD  (Read 241628 times)

June 10, 2009, 11:31:01 AM
Reply #30

LaurentG

What's the best way to link another page to your OSD settings menu? What file(s) do I need to modify to link a .xml file to a folder inside /OSD Settings/new folder?

Thanks and great app.

Link a .xml file to a folder ? Sorry, I don't understand what you mean :(

June 10, 2009, 11:40:16 AM
Reply #31

dcrutgers

I want to add functionality to your OSD settings menu.. I figured it out

June 10, 2009, 12:03:15 PM
Reply #32

LaurentG

I want to add functionality to your OSD settings menu.. I figured it out

You can create sub-folders (mkdir) and attach action to your sub-folders by triggering a script using event-osd. To display a new screen, first your folder must contain at least one video file and then your script must substitute the regular file(s) by your own XML file(s).

June 10, 2009, 03:22:51 PM
Reply #33

sfpx

Awesome job LaurentG !

Yesterday I started to work on my own software that will extract data from AlloCine and create an image with it.

Let me know if you want to test it later this week.

June 12, 2009, 11:26:42 AM
Reply #34

LaurentG

WDLXTV Application Pack
LaurentG.app.bin version 1.1
Download

Here are the enhancements included in this application pack:
- new video thumbmail views using ratio 3/4 instead of 2/3 for thumbmails + menus to choose the configuration,
- new view displaying the movie sheet previously generated for example with the softwares Movie GUI Builder or TViXiE,
- access to the network shares even when the media library is off,
- correction of the French translation.

Installation

Warning: this application pack requires the WDLXTV firmware version 0.5.3.2.

Unzip the ZIP file at the root of your USB key or USB hard drive connected to the WD TVHD, and then reboot.
Warning: you must not have at the same place other app.bin files with a name starting by "LaurentG".

Changelog

Version 1.1
- new configuration file modifiable by the user,
- possibility to disable, using the configuration file, certain features of this application pack,
- possibility to customize, using the configuration file, the placement and looking of elements overriding the movie sheet.

New video thumbmail views using ratio 3/4 for thumbmails

Four new views configurations are provided:
- 3 lines of 7 video thumbs, each thumb having resolution 120x160
- 2 lines of 6 video thumbs, each thumb having resolution 150x200
- 2 lines of 5 video thumbs, each thumb having resolution 180x240
- 1 line of 4 video thumbs, each thumb having resolution 225x300
Of course, the configurations provided with the WDLXTV firmware are still available.

The easiest way is to choose the configuration directly in the menus of the WD TVHD. You have to enter in the video folders then choose "OSD Settings" then "Thumbmail resolution in video thumbmail mode" and finally select the resolution.
For people who prefer using the command line, you have to run one of the following commands:
config_tool -c THUMBRESO="120x160"
config_tool -c THUMBRESO="150x200"
config_tool -c THUMBRESO="180x240"
config_tool -c THUMBRESO="225x300"
config_tool -c THUMBRESO="120x180"
config_tool -c THUMBRESO="163x245"
config_tool -c THUMBRESO="240x360"
The command can be run from a telnet session or can be included in the file "S00custom-options" placed at the root of the USB key or the hard drive connected to the WD TVHD.

The choice of configuration is kept even when the power is unplugged. So it will not be necessary to select again the configuration after each boot.

New view displaying the movie sheet

To use this view mode, it is necessary to create a particular file tree on your hard drive. For each movie, you have to create a folder named with the title of the movie and containing:
- the file "folder.jpg", the movie poster,
- the file "wd_tv.jpg", the movie form,
- the video file, whatever its name.
Softwares like Movie GUI Builder or TViXiE allow creating easily the movie sheets, getting the main data from internet and let you designing the templates. You have just to configure them to generate a JPEG file in resolution 1280x720.

From the menus of the WD TVHD, as soon as you enter in a folder of this kind, the movie sheet appears in background and the name of the first video file contained in this folder is displayed at bottom of the screen. If the folder contains several video files, the top and bottom remote keys allow navigating through the files.

Configuration file

The file "LaurentG.conf.txt" is documented. It contains comments (lines beginning with #) and data (lines with "parameter=value").
Please read the file to check what you can do.

Known bugs

- the movie sheet is not displayed if the one of the folders leading to the movie file contains in its name a special character.

June 12, 2009, 01:52:19 PM
Reply #35

Sumo

Great work! ;D

For me it is almost perfect...! I tried it with your osd disabled and b-rads farscape.osd.bin and it works. Nice own bg and red coloured menu. I use a S00Custom-Options file for further settings. But one thing wont work with that: I always get 12 thumbs, even when theyre configurated by S00Custom-Options like: config_tool -c THUMBNUM=8 or config_tool -c THUMBRESO="180x240"

Any idea on that?

Thanks and best regards... :)

June 12, 2009, 02:09:24 PM
Reply #36

LaurentG

Great work! ;D

For me it is almost perfect...! I tried it with your osd disabled and b-rads farscape.osd.bin and it works. Nice own bg and red coloured menu. I use a S00Custom-Options file for further settings. But one thing wont work with that: I always get 12 thumbs, even when theyre configurated by S00Custom-Options like: config_tool -c THUMBNUM=8 or config_tool -c THUMBRESO="180x240"

Any idea on that?

Thanks and best regards... :)

When you disable OSD, you disable this feature.

With b-rad WDLXTV firmware and farscape.osd.bin OSD, meaning without my app.bin, are you able to change THUMBNUM/LISTNUM whith good result and looking ?

The problem is that I cannot be sure that files added by b-rad for this feature (switch THUMBNUM/LISTNUM) will be included in all already existing osd.bin.
I think I will make a new change to keep the default WDLXTV behaviour if I see that all files are present in /osd. That could be ok with farscape.osd.bin for example. By the way, you will not have my new THUMBRESO switch and no OSD menus, only THUMBNUM/LISTNUM switch with config_tool command.

I will work on that for the next release.

June 12, 2009, 02:35:16 PM
Reply #37

Sumo

I hope my "colour-thing" is not annoying to you, perhaps there is another way to get rid of anything "blue", a way I did not recognize yet...? 8) :D

YouŽre right, that THUMBRESO switch "on the fly" and OSD menus are very cool features too, that IŽd better not miss in the future... :)

June 12, 2009, 02:43:41 PM
Reply #38

LaurentG

I hope my "colour-thing" is not annoying to you, perhaps there is another way to get rid of anything "blue", a way I did not recognize yet...? 8) :D

YouŽre right, that THUMBRESO switch "on the fly" and OSD menus are very cool features too, that IŽd better not miss in the future... :)

By the way, it was an error to disable something included in the firmware ! I will correct that.
And I could probably keep at least parts of OSD menus as no modified XML files are involved.

June 12, 2009, 05:37:39 PM
Reply #39

dcrutgers

FYI, the new version breaks a lot of applications such as Disco's web server, samba, and RSS addon.. As soon as I remove your app.bin's everything starts working again..

Can you post a link to the original version until its fixed, I deleted it. Thanks!

Update:: I found the link to the original release.. Everything is working find now with the 1.0 release.

http://lg.hc.free.fr/WDTVHD/download/LaurentG.app.v1.zip
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:10:16 PM by dcrutgers »

June 13, 2009, 12:49:22 AM
Reply #40

LaurentG

FYI, the new version breaks a lot of applications such as Disco's web server, samba, and RSS addon.. As soon as I remove your app.bin's everything starts working again..

Very strange. I use samba and it works perfectly at home.
My changes between the two versions are in fact relatively minor and I have difficulty to understand how it could break ... other app.bin :o
Does Disco's web server modify OSD ?

June 13, 2009, 02:28:47 AM
Reply #41

flash70

Hey, great work - Thanks!

I installed your pack and it looks great, I do have 2 minor issues:

After rebooting the WDTV, everything works great. My chosen thumbnails view and the movie sheet. If I turn off the WDTV, unplug the HD, re-plug the HD and turn on the WDTV, the thumbs view stays but the movie sheet is gone. I have to do a full reboot to make it work again.
Is that supposed to work like that?

Is there a way to remove the OSD Settings "folder" after having the desired thumbs configuration?
The main reason I use the thumbs and movie sheet is to make the WDTV accessible to my kid (browse by pictures). I wouldn't want her to stumble into the OSD settings and change stuff...

Thanks again!

June 13, 2009, 04:25:03 AM
Reply #42

LaurentG

Hi Sumo.

I have done some changes and now my app works perfectly with farscape.osd.bin (DISABLE_OSD=1), including the new availibility of the OSD settings menus in this case.
I will deliver a new version before the end of the week-end.
I must check before that all is working fine with the app version of the farscape osd.

June 13, 2009, 04:29:45 AM
Reply #43

LaurentG

After rebooting the WDTV, everything works great. My chosen thumbnails view and the movie sheet. If I turn off the WDTV, unplug the HD, re-plug the HD and turn on the WDTV, the thumbs view stays but the movie sheet is gone. I have to do a full reboot to make it work again.

I will check but I suppose that unplug could be a big problem for event-osd.
If you turn off and turn on without unplugging your HD, I imagine that it's working correctly ?

Is there a way to remove the OSD Settings "folder" after having the desired thumbs configuration?
The main reason I use the thumbs and movie sheet is to make the WDTV accessible to my kid (browse by pictures). I wouldn't want her to stumble into the OSD settings and change stuff...

Thanks again!

I will add an option in the configuration file like DISABLE_OSD_SETTINGS_FOLDER.

June 13, 2009, 05:23:37 AM
Reply #44

flash70

I will check but I suppose that unplug could be a big problem for event-osd.
If you turn off and turn on without unplugging your HD, I imagine that it's working correctly ?
Yes, when turning off and on using the remote control, the movie sheet works. Whenever I unplug and re-plug the HD, the WDTV initiates a "storage scan", which I guess is causing the problem.

Thanks again!

I will add an option in the configuration file like DISABLE_OSD_SETTINGS_FOLDER.

That will be great, thanks :)