Author Topic: My pack enhancing OSD  (Read 241519 times)

June 13, 2009, 05:36:36 AM
Reply #45

LaurentG

Hey, great work - Thanks!

I installed your pack and it looks great, I do have 2 minor issues:

After rebooting the WDTV, everything works great. My chosen thumbnails view and the movie sheet. If I turn off the WDTV, unplug the HD, re-plug the HD and turn on the WDTV, the thumbs view stays but the movie sheet is gone. I have to do a full reboot to make it work again.
Is that supposed to work like that?

I will check but I suppose that unplug could be a big problem for event-osd.
If you turn off and turn on without unplugging your HD, I imagine that it's working correctly ?
Yes, when turning off and on using the remote control, the movie sheet works. Whenever I unplug and re-plug the HD, the WDTV initiates a "storage scan", which I guess is causing the problem.

I was not able to reproduce the problem. With media library off, it seems to work.
I will try with media library on.

Is there a way to remove the OSD Settings "folder" after having the desired thumbs configuration?
The main reason I use the thumbs and movie sheet is to make the WDTV accessible to my kid (browse by pictures). I wouldn't want her to stumble into the OSD settings and change stuff...

Thanks again!

I will add an option in the configuration file like DISABLE_OSD_SETTINGS_FOLDER.

That will be great, thanks :)

Done.

June 13, 2009, 05:41:50 AM
Reply #46

LaurentG

Hey, great work - Thanks!

I installed your pack and it looks great, I do have 2 minor issues:

After rebooting the WDTV, everything works great. My chosen thumbnails view and the movie sheet. If I turn off the WDTV, unplug the HD, re-plug the HD and turn on the WDTV, the thumbs view stays but the movie sheet is gone. I have to do a full reboot to make it work again.
Is that supposed to work like that?

I will check but I suppose that unplug could be a big problem for event-osd.
If you turn off and turn on without unplugging your HD, I imagine that it's working correctly ?
Yes, when turning off and on using the remote control, the movie sheet works. Whenever I unplug and re-plug the HD, the WDTV initiates a "storage scan", which I guess is causing the problem.

I was not able to reproduce the problem. With media library off, it seems to work.
I will try with media library on.

No, it's working for me.
You may try to eject properly your HD with the WD TVHD menu before turning off. That may help, not sure.

June 14, 2009, 07:39:24 AM
Reply #47

Sumo

Hi again... :)

I will ask this for a guy in a german forum because his english is quite a bit worse than mine. :D He tried to run the movie sheet functionality, but it doesnt work. All other functions coming with your app are working, like the osd settings, etc...

He tried out to figure out a lot of possible issues, but everything seems to be like it has to. Like the file tree and the names of files. He even has no special characters in any folder or file name. He uses a USB pen to try the moviesheet with one film. He postet two screenshots of his data:

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=1d3th.jpg

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=2xdp5.jpg

I suggested that has to do with the endings of the filenames. Unfortunately he uses vista and does not show the endings. Does it matter if they´re named .JPG in stead of .jpg for example?

Or do you have any other clue where to look for the issue ...?

June 14, 2009, 08:21:24 AM
Reply #48

LaurentG

Hi again... :)

I suggested that has to do with the endings of the filenames. Unfortunately he uses vista and does not show the endings. Does it matter if they´re named .JPG in stead of .jpg for example?

Yes it matters. He can try to change the name that triggers the movie sheet in the configuration file, using "xxxx.JPG" instead of "xxxx.jpg".

June 14, 2009, 09:01:19 AM
Reply #49

Sumo

Thanks, but its not sure that he uses JPG, I just suspected that. I will try to figure out. Any other suggestion?

June 14, 2009, 09:04:37 AM
Reply #50

LaurentG

Thanks, but its not sure that he uses JPG, I just suspected that. I will try to figure out. Any other suggestion?

Just be sure that the file in the folder is named "wd_tv.jpg" or if not set the parameter TRIGGER_FILE in the configuration file to the file name he uses.

June 14, 2009, 09:06:04 AM
Reply #51

Sumo

Ok, thanks!

Best regards!

:)

June 14, 2009, 11:47:52 AM
Reply #52

LaurentG

WDLXTV Application Pack
LaurentG.app.bin
Version 1.2

Download

Here are the enhancements included in this application pack:
- new video thumbmail views using ratio 3/4 instead of 2/3 for thumbmails + menus to choose the configuration,
- new view displaying the movie sheet previously generated for example with the softwares Movie GUI Builder or TViXiE,
- access to the network shares even when the media library is off,
- correction of the French translation.

Installation

Warning: this application pack requires the WDLXTV firmware version 0.5.3.2.

If you had an old version of this application pack, please suppress all the old files from your USB pendrive (or USB hard drive) connected to the WD TVHD. Then unzip the new ZIP file at the same place and reboot.
Warning: you must not have at the same place other app.bin files with a name starting by "LaurentG".

This application pack can be run without the file "event-osd.app.bin", but in this case some features will be disabled.

Changelog

Version 1.2
- new: access to the folder "OSD Settings" even when parameter DISABLE_OSD is set to 1 (only if the OSD offer several possible configurations)
- new: parameter DISABLE_OSD_SETTINGS_FOLDER added in the configuration file to not display the folder "OSD Settings"
- fixed: display of the movie sheet even if one of the folders leading to the movie file contains special characters
- fixed: management of the FRAME_FILE parameter
- fixed: THUMBNUM and LISTNUM changes are again taken into account when one osd.bin is loaded (for example farscape.osd.bin) and DISABLE_OSD is set to 1
- fixed: compatibility with other OSD themes

Version 1.1
- new configuration file modifiable by the user,
- possibility to disable, using the configuration file, certain features of this application pack,
- possibility to customize, using the configuration file, the placement and looking of elements overriding the movie sheet.

New video thumbmail views using ratio 3/4 for thumbmails

Four new views configurations are provided:
- 3 lines of 7 video thumbs, each thumb having resolution 120x160
- 2 lines of 6 video thumbs, each thumb having resolution 150x200
- 2 lines of 5 video thumbs, each thumb having resolution 180x240
- 1 line of 4 video thumbs, each thumb having resolution 225x300
Of course, the configurations provided with the WDLXTV firmware are still available.

The easiest way is to choose the configuration directly in the menus of the WD TVHD. You have to enter in the video folders then choose "OSD Settings" then "Thumbmail resolution in video thumbmail mode" and finally select the resolution.
For people who prefer using the command line, you have to run one of the following commands:
config_tool -c THUMBRESO="120x160"
config_tool -c THUMBRESO="150x200"
config_tool -c THUMBRESO="180x240"
config_tool -c THUMBRESO="225x300"
config_tool -c THUMBRESO="120x180"
config_tool -c THUMBRESO="163x245"
config_tool -c THUMBRESO="240x360"
The command can be run from a telnet session or can be included in the file "S00custom-options" placed at the root of the USB pendrive or the hard drive connected to the WD TVHD.

The choice of configuration is kept even when the power is unplugged. So it will not be necessary to select again the configuration after each boot.

New view displaying the movie sheet

To use this view mode, it is necessary to create a particular file tree on your hard drive. For each movie, you have to create a folder named with the title of the movie and containing:
- the file "folder.jpg", the movie poster,
- the file "wd_tv.jpg", the movie form,
- the video file, whatever its name.
Softwares like Movie GUI Builder or TViXiE allow creating easily the movie sheets, getting the main data from internet and let you designing the templates. You have just to configure them to generate a JPEG file in resolution 1280x720.

From the menus of the WD TVHD, as soon as you enter in a folder of this kind, the movie sheet appears in background and the name of the first video file contained in this folder is displayed at bottom of the screen. If the folder contains several video files, the top and bottom remote keys allow navigating through the files.

Configuration file

The file "LaurentG.conf.txt" is documented. It contains comments (lines beginning with #) and data (lines with "parameter=value").
Please read the file to check what you can do.

Compatibility with the other app.bin and osd.bin

This application pack is compatible with all the OSD themes provided as a file osd.bin. It is necessary to set the parameter DISABLE_OSD to 1 in the configuration file. Verified themes: farscape.osd.bin and lilibabe.osd.bin.
This application pack is compatible with the OSD themes provided as a file app.bin if they are built as explained (method #2) on the b-rad WEB site ( http://b-rad.cc/877/wdtv-osd-how-to-make-a-custom-theme ). It is necessary to set the parameter DISABLE_OSD to 1 in the configuration file. Verified theme: farscape.app.bin.
This application pack is not compatible with juliojs's application pack osdMod.app.bin in version 0.4.0.5.

Known problems

- compatibility with juliojs's application pack osdMod.app.bin in version 0.4.0.5

June 14, 2009, 04:41:49 PM
Reply #53

dcrutgers

Again, great work. Are there plans to get this to work with ext3-boot?

June 15, 2009, 09:38:44 AM
Reply #54

LaurentG

Again, great work. Are there plans to get this to work with ext3-boot?

There is probably not a lot of changes to do in order to make it work with ext3-boot.
I will take a look to ext3-boot starting scripts and compare them to b-rad's.
By the way, I will not be able to test it myself.
So I could provide something not tested in next version.

June 15, 2009, 09:41:00 AM
Reply #55

dcrutgers

Thanks, I want to go back to using ext3-boot, but I can't live without your app. :) I would be happy to test this for you etc.

Thanks!

June 15, 2009, 11:31:04 AM
Reply #56

LaurentG

Thanks, I want to go back to using ext3-boot, but I can't live without your app. :) I would be happy to test this for you etc.

Thanks!

I have checked quickly root.bin from ext3-boot.
Normally, my version 1.2 may already work with ext3-boot except the feature allowing to switch to different video thumbmails resolution. For this particular feature, I have done few little changes in my app and I could deliver a new version soon. I still need to compare few OSD XML files between the two firmwares.
Regarding the auto mount of network shares when media library is off, I don't know if it is necessary with ext3-boot ? Does ext3-boot already manages that in a better way than WDLXTV ?

Could you already try version 1.2 of my app with ext3-boot and tell me if the following features are already working:
-  new view displaying the movie sheet previously generated for example with the softwares Movie GUI Builder or TViXiE
- access to the network shares even when the media library is off
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 11:45:39 AM by LaurentG »

June 15, 2009, 09:49:15 PM
Reply #57

bahoiz

Hi,
I tried your app ver 1.2 with ext3-boot. I used TViXiE to generate wd_tv.jpg for a movie. I hope I didn't make a mistake:
I create a directory "movie", then I put the
movie.mkv
wd_tv.jpg (created by TViXiE)
folder.jpg
in it.
but it didn't display wd_tv.jpg I saw only blue background and the movie name.( I have to say that I didn't change anything in the configuration file, should I change any line)

for your second question: No when media library is off , I coulnd't access to the network shares.

Best Regards.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 09:57:45 PM by bahoiz »

June 15, 2009, 10:30:29 PM
Reply #58

LaurentG

Hi,
I tried your app ver 1.2 with ext3-boot. I used TViXiE to generate wd_tv.jpg for a movie. I hope I didn't make a mistake:
I create a directory "movie", then I put the
movie.mkv
wd_tv.jpg (created by TViXiE)
folder.jpg
in it.

That's is what must be done.

but it didn't display wd_tv.jpg I saw only blue background and the movie name.

Blue ? Strange... When it does not work, I generally get a black background, not a blue background.
That means that at least event-osd triggers my script.
Can you please check that your wd_tv.jpg file has a reasonable size. Do you use the default TViXiE settings (75% compression) ?

( I have to say that I didn't change anything in the configuration file, should I change any line)

Configuration file cannot work with ext3-boot and version 1.2.

for your second question: No when media library is off , I coulnd't access to the network shares.

:(
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 10:03:31 AM by LaurentG »

June 16, 2009, 12:55:38 AM
Reply #59

bahoiz

I forgot to say that when I use appletrailers.app ,new views works and movie sheet displayed as expected but it didn't work with movies on my hard drive, and yes I used default settings of  TViXiE.

P.S: Blue background is the default screen.(like in the original firmware)

One more thing: thumbnail resizing didn't work for me.