Poll

Anyone have plavback issues?

Playback
0 (0%)
Issues
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: WD TV Live Playback Issues While Streaming m4v Files  (Read 2697 times)

May 05, 2012, 03:39:44 PM
Read 2697 times

Lyon

Hello,

I am having issues when playing back m4v files from my PC to my WD TV.  Here's the thing, I have no issues with playback with the same m4v files on my Apple TV.  I really like the interface slightly better than the Apple TV and I do not want to buy the new Apple TV (1080P) as...well quite honestly I am not a huge fan of theirs.  I like the flexibility of the WD TV.

I am streaming over wireless but again, i do not have the same issue if i were to watch the same file on my Apple TV.  Has anyone experienced issues with pauses, skips, and audio to video sync?
I am using Handbrake to encode my DVDs and Bluray disks to my PC.  File size is around 3 GB.  My hard disk is a SATA WD 1 TB @ 7200 RPM.  I was thinking about purchasing a SATA 3 disk but since i have no playback issues with the Apple TV...I don't think my issue is there.

Thanks,

Lyon

May 05, 2012, 03:44:53 PM
Reply #1

Lyon

Forgot to add that if i playback on the PC using Windows Media Center, Windows Media Player, VLC, iTunes, etc, it is fine.

May 06, 2012, 11:01:06 AM
Reply #2

Lyon

Okay, i think i figured this out.  The higher bit rate i encode at the more i see the issue.  If i let Handbrake encode my disks at default then everyting works fine.  I dont know why the Apple TV is more forgiving.  Looks like i am going to have to go through and re-encode some movies.