Author Topic: No DTS\Dolby OutPut Via Optical After Firmware Update  (Read 2663 times)

April 26, 2012, 01:12:50 AM
Read 2663 times

craig0ss

Hi there

Please excuse me, this may be a duplicate post as I have found similar topics on the interwebs.

I purchased a WDTV live last week, plugged it in, setup my network and bang, everything worked. I connect it to my HD TV via HDMI and then to my AV reciever via an optical lead. I have several large .mkv's with DTS and Dolby Digital audio stream, the WDTV live outputted these perfectly to my av reciever right off the bat once i had set it to output via optical only.

However, i was having stuttering issues with large bit rate 1080p videos, (i am on gigabit wired network) and after some googleing i came across a post saying that i should enable flow control on the NIC on the server from which i am streaming from, did this and the stuttering stopped, then on the main menu of the WDTV live i clicked the update firmware (auto thing, i though why not, cant do any harm to be on the latest firmware).

I can now play my 20+gb files with no stutter, however there is now NO DTS or dolby output via the optical lead, and after around 20 seconds my AMP reports a DEC EROR (i presume a codec error, ive not had chance to research the error code for my amp). Now this is only after the update from 1.04... to the latest 1.07.. firmware, if i deselect the DTS/DOLBY outputs on the WDTV the amp then received the PCM signal via the optical lead and i get audio, but when i select the DTS/DOLBY options for my AMP i get no audio and my AV receiver reports the DEC EROR.

What i want to know is

1. Is this issue a firmware issue?
2. Anyone else having the same issue?
3. Is there a fix?
4 Should i roll back to v1.04 firmware?

As i say, this only happened after the firmware update, before it all worked perfect (part from the stutter which was not related to the WD TV live)

Thanks

Craig

April 27, 2012, 02:55:32 AM
Reply #1

craig0ss

Update

Last night when i got home i rolled back the firmware to version 1.04.12 and everything is now working as intended again, DTS/Dolby audio is now being picked up by my AV reciever and with the change to my NIC regarding the flow control there is no stutter on large (10+gb high bitrate) files.

To Anyone having a similar issue i would suggest not updating the firmware, and if you do be prepared (have a usb flash pen device with the 1.04.12 firmware ready) to revert the firmware.