Author Topic: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Subtitles Problem  (Read 17868 times)

March 02, 2012, 02:02:25 PM
Read 17868 times

dondford

WD TV Live Model - WDBHG70000NBK-HESN
Windows 7 Home Edition
Media Server - Twonky Manager
Latest Firmware
Issue - Subtitles will not display

I have installed the above media player and everything seems to work fine except subtitles will not appear.  I stream movies, mostly AVI/Xvid/Divx from a 3GB external HD from my computer.  I have checked and rechecked to make sure the .avi and .srt file have the same name and are in the same folder.  In the setting I have tried both Subtitle Default On and Off.  When I attempt to play a movie with subs, I start the movie then press the "Subtitle" button; "Subtitle: OFF" appears, toggling the button has no effect .  Under "Subtitle: OFF Audio 1 - MPEG is displayed.  When I press the "Audio" button nothing appears.  Last night a drop down menu appeared a couple of times, but selecting the subtitle button had no effect.  Also last night, when toggling the Subtitle it went from "Subtitle: OFF" to "Subtitle: UNKNOWN" but I can't duplicate that result today.  I have followed the Owners Manual exactly with no results.  I scrapped my old D-Link DSL 250 because it did not have Subs.  Very frustrated.
Any assistance greatly appreciated.

D

March 12, 2012, 10:32:28 AM
Reply #1

Odessit1

WD TV Live Model - WDBHG70000NBK-HESN
Windows 7 Home Edition
Media Server - Twonky Manager
Latest Firmware
Issue - Subtitles will not display

I have installed the above media player and everything seems to work fine except subtitles will not appear.  I stream movies, mostly AVI/Xvid/Divx from a 3GB external HD from my computer.  I have checked and rechecked to make sure the .avi and .srt file have the same name and are in the same folder.  In the setting I have tried both Subtitle Default On and Off.  When I attempt to play a movie with subs, I start the movie then press the "Subtitle" button; "Subtitle: OFF" appears, toggling the button has no effect .  Under "Subtitle: OFF Audio 1 - MPEG is displayed.  When I press the "Audio" button nothing appears.  Last night a drop down menu appeared a couple of times, but selecting the subtitle button had no effect.  Also last night, when toggling the Subtitle it went from "Subtitle: OFF" to "Subtitle: UNKNOWN" but I can't duplicate that result today.  I have followed the Owners Manual exactly with no results.  I scrapped my old D-Link DSL 250 because it did not have Subs.  Very frustrated.
Any assistance greatly appreciated.

D

March 13, 2012, 10:19:41 AM
Reply #2

egarron

Hello,  I know how frustrating this can be.  I was at it for hours....exact same issue.  This will definitely fix it...picked it up onn another forum.  Basically do not confugure your NAS as a media server.  Set it up as a Network Share....it will work!

Best.

I saw this post while I was registering in this forum and I may be able to help you.

I don't think Media Servers support external subtitle files like .srt.. File Shares do, because it shows you all files in a folder, but Media Shares only serve up certain content. So as is, you won't have much luck. Fear not though. There is a solution. Its a little bit annoying but much quicker than I expected. You just have to embed your .srt file into the .mkv file.

Download a program called mkvtools (get the gui one) and google about how to add the subtitles to the mkv container. After that you don't even need the .srt file. The subs will be inside the .mkv itself and detected by the WD TV Live.